PDA

View Full Version : 450R front shocks on 400EX?

HondaChris
02-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Has anyone done/tried this? I'm sure someone has. I am looking to upgrade from the stock fronts on mine. The r's gotta be a definite improvement over the EX stockers. I know I could spend a bunch of money on some Elkas or TCS, but dont have it to spend. Was thinking of some Works steelers, but thought about this as well. Which would be better the Works of 450R's?

zephead400ex
02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I know there are people who run the R shocks on their EX's but, I the Works shocks would be a bigger improvement for the simply fact that they can be setup for your specific riding style and weight.

Hope this helps.

beak7707
02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Do a search on it a bunch of people have discussed it in detail. Overall yes they fit, no they arent the correct shock. Suspenion people like Jeff@thequadshop says it can cause damage to the shock because the shaft lenght is not correct. I stuck them on my 250r with stock width arms and they felt very stiff. They fit on my 250r fine but I have heard you might have to grind something on the 400's. Some people said they did others said they didnt, just search the topic you'll fidn all your answers.

DirtDevilBT
02-15-2005, 09:59 PM
400ex's
z400's

anything with a 16" shock can benifet from them. They are great shocks and rebuildable. You can get triple rate springs and valved for what you want. The 250R's would definatly suck with them because it's so light. The 400ex shocks are too soft and go to mush too quickly.

khen
02-17-2005, 10:50 PM
I've had mine on for almost 1 year and they've been great.

400ex28
02-18-2005, 07:36 AM
how well would you guys think they would work with +2's?

rockbronco
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
just got a set put on mine, I took it for a short ride the other day and it felt alot better than the stock shocks. overall they where a tad stiff but nothing i cant adjust. as soon as it stops raining I will take it out for a longer ride to dial them in.

as far as making them fit they bolt right up with the exception of the top mount. you have to grind a little bit of the housing to get it to clear one of the fender plastic mounting.

rockbronco
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
another

rockbronco
02-18-2005, 04:43 PM
the area that has to be ground down for clearance.

culookn
02-19-2005, 01:36 PM
i know people are gonna say they belong on the forsale section but i have a set forsale. 290 plus shipping.

DirtDevilBT
02-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by rockbronco
just got a set put on mine, I took it for a short ride the other day and it felt alot better than the stock shocks. overall they where a tad stiff but nothing i cant adjust. as soon as it stops raining I will take it out for a longer ride to dial them in.

as far as making them fit they bolt right up with the exception of the top mount. you have to grind a little bit of the housing to get it to clear one of the fender plastic mounting.

Hey man, hummmm, I think they are on backwards. The compression screw should be on the outside. They don't look reachable on the photo.

rockbronco
02-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Hey man, hummmm, I think they are on backwards. The compression screw should be on the outside. They don't look reachable on the photo.

noticed that after I put them on, I think what happend was the shock body was twisted. the res are supposed to be in the rear but they are swaped from left to right. you can reach the adjuster screws just fine so its not a big deal