PDA

View Full Version : cylinder decking?

baker250r
02-14-2005, 09:00 AM
hat does cylinder decking do? i sent my cylinder in for a port job and he did this to my cylinder too... I am wondering what it does for performance/compression wise?

wilkin250r
02-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Did you send in just your cylinder, or your complete engine?

The "deck height" is the distance that your piston sits inside your cylinder. It is measured at the very edge of the piston, so it does not take into account the dome height. If it's sitting too far in the whole, you have a poor squish band and also poor compression.

If your piston sits too far down, "Decking the cylinder" refers to grinding and machine work to decrease the height of the cylinder, to bring the top of the cylinder downwards and decrease your deck height. I don't see how anybody could properly deck your cylinder without your complete engine assembly to work with.

Perhaps he just did some very mild machine work to your cylinder to flatten it and make sure it's true.

papatrx
02-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Exactly what wilkin said, plus what type of cylinder is it, stock or after market pro-x? What is the stroke? What is the rod length?

What was the squish before the decking, also the compression?

Without the entire package this is a disaster in the making.

The stock honda trx setup had a standard .040 deck height to play with so some minor removal of material to flaten the surface should not do any harm on a stock setup.

If this is a new stroke with new rod etc. everything must be measured and accounted for before the engine is assembled and then again after.