PDA

View Full Version : Ballance's YFZ question

jlhughes750
02-14-2005, 08:28 AM
take a look at the pics form the 05 GNCC opener in TX.....

the pic of Ballance nefore the start....there is a steel plate on the outside of his rear sprocket???? at a glance it looked like it had the brake on the left side???? But then I looked closer and it looks like a guard or guide???? Any thoughts on this...

Also it looks like a transponder or aftermarket ignition under the frt. fenders in the middle?? Wonder if RP was testing transponder scoring???

jlhughes750
02-14-2005, 08:29 AM

Dale512
02-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Looks like some sort of Sprocket Gaurd there, and I'm not sure whats under his frontend, thats where the rectifier should be so I'm guessing its that regulator kit or whatever it is that Yamaha sells to fix the overcharging issue.

jlhughes750
02-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I just saw the same sprocket guard on Brandons bike??

Flynbryan19
02-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Looks to be used to keep the chain from derailing.

daddio
02-14-2005, 12:03 PM
go-cart guys have been using that type of chain gaurd for years. I have always wondered why it hasn't caught on with quads.

300exOH
02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Looks likes the same type of thing that came stock on my wife's Polaris trailblazer. Hers doesn't even have a skid plate under the sprocket OR the caliper. :eek2:

rpyfz450
02-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750

it looks like a transponder or aftermarket ignition under the frt. fenders in the middle?

That's a genuine Yamaha resistor kit. The YFZ's electrical system needs it when you run the ATV with the lights off. Not all YFZs demonstrate the problem.

TDBRPH
02-16-2005, 08:56 PM
What size fronts are on Bill's bike they seem narrow?

SRH
02-16-2005, 09:10 PM
thats a good idea i see hes still running a skid, maybe if his skid folds up it wont rub the chain or something like that looks like a brake rotor actually

300exOH
02-17-2005, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by SRH
thats a good idea i see hes still running a skid, maybe if his skid folds up it wont rub the chain or something like that looks like a brake rotor actually

That's what I was thinking. It seems to work well even on the polaris so I bet it works even better in combo with the skid plate. I'd like to see how they have the ring attached to the sprocket on Ballance's machine.

4StrokeThunder
02-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Those look like 22-7-10 Razr 2 fronts... If they are not 22-7-10 they are probibly 21-7-10's, but I'm sure they are running 22's in the front for a little more ground clearence...

muddy400EX
02-20-2005, 05:01 PM
i want his quad

cinigen9
02-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by jlhughes750

the pic of Ballance nefore the start....there is a steel plate on the outside of his rear sprocket???? at a glance it looked like it had the brake on the left side???? But then I looked closer and it looks like a guard or guide???? Any thoughts on this...

Also it looks like a transponder or aftermarket ignition under the frt. fenders in the middle?? Wonder if RP was testing transponder scoring???

Jl - You are correct - guide/guard. Check with gtthunder - they have these available.

Carson

yfzracer86
03-01-2005, 08:30 PM
i had the same setup last year, works great. i made it out of a old brake rotor. funny when it bends, just wack it back to normal with a hammer and your good to go. i got the idea from the polaris too!

4StrokeThunder
03-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Has anyone tried to make one of these guards out of an old brake rotor? I was thinking the same thing when i first saw the picture of Bills Bike. I thought about going over to the local quad and bike junk yard to find something, does anyone know what size or off of what bike fits best... with like a 1/4" or so above and below the top and bottom of the chain. I called and talked to Lazarus Sommers at GTThunder and he said he sells them for...

$49.95 for aluminum
$95.00 for stainless

I have no idea which one would work and hold up better... I would think that you get what you pay for and the stainless would hold up better, but i don't have any idea. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on making one?

biggen
03-24-2005, 07:56 PM
hey jyst for info my buddy here at work (in tool room) says he thinks he can make these plates with out much trouble after easter we will work on ti and see how cheap we can make them for us later and ride safe :D :devil:

03-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Ok I think everything has been answered by now. the plate on the back is ran by most GT Thunder riders. With a skid plate it keeps the skid from being bent into the chain. BS runs that plate with out a skid plate.

the think on the front is the GYT-R resitor kit.

Bill Typically runs a 21" front tire. may change according to track.