PDA

View Full Version : zps

440z17
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Are zps shocks ok for dunes, what are some disadvantages. Thanks, mike.

400grl
02-14-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm certainly no shock expert, but I can share with you my experience with ZPS at the dunes. Say goodbye to preload.....it was very hard to get any "pop" off the jumps......I had to get good lift more from speed than any preload.......also, when bowling.....and coming down into the bowls with alot of speed, my a-arms would get so low they drug in the sand (I don't know if this was a result of the ZPS for sure, but I'm assuming it was)....that can make things interesting when you are going that fast and then all of a sudden.....you aren't! LOL!!!

Good points......on the rough, choppy cross-ruts in the high speed areas it was very nice......also drag racing up the hills....kept the wheels in the sand (better traction!) better than my non-ZPS experience.......

So it might just depend on what you plan on doing more of out there.......

Just my HUMBLE .02!! :)

440z17
02-14-2005, 03:17 PM
thanks for the reply it was very useful. mike

400grl
02-14-2005, 04:08 PM
See if you get a few more opinions.....maybe others can help as well! :)

trx440
02-15-2005, 08:11 AM
I ran TCS SCS's on my old 440 when I moved to AZ. They were my MX shocks from back east. Here's my experience compared to stock 450R suspension.:

They ride rough on busy weekends when the dunes are rutted up [until you get up to @ 30 mph] then they surpass stock.

They are obviously much better for jumping.

I was NEVER beaten through the whoops at the bottom of the hill in 2 years.

Low cg is great for hill climbing and carving virgin, predictable dunes.

Suck at handling unseen g-outs and step-ups. You have to blip the throttle to get the wheels off the ground so that the shocks are allowed to extend to full length. If you are able to do that then they work better much better than stock but you can't do it everytime.

Overall, I'm finally getting used to the 450R suspension. I know I was faster on my 440 when duning because of a stronger motor and lower cg but I can ride the 450R longer because it is plusher and it acts as an insurance policy against those unseen g-outs and step-ups.

I think there is a reason Elka has a Dune Edition shock and it's not all about creating another category to make money on. There is a need.

I will do a LT / ELka Dune Edition front end on my bike for next season.

R3Concepts
02-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Huh? Since ZPS shocks are all about the ride height, crank up the ride height for the dunes.. I run PEP zps and Ive never had a big problem with the dunes, with just my track set ups. I know that TCS scs series shocks have a low-speed compression, so if they ride ride rough in the choppy stuff crank that adj. to soft. But Elka is going to make people think that they need these dune edition shocks but just learn to adjust the shocks you have rather then buying some "special dune shock" thats not needed.