PDA

View Full Version : How hot is the Pipe??? Thanks for the help

Snow Shark
02-14-2005, 06:48 AM
I am thinking about buying a YFZ 450. I have to ride my 2 year old and I heard the pipe gets real hot. I do not want her leg or foot to get burned. Is this possible, I rode my brothers Honda 450 and it wasn't a problem. I just want to make sure there is a guard to buy or if your guys don't feel it is a problem. Thanks for the help.

Dyarle

400grl
02-14-2005, 12:26 PM
The headpipe, even with the guard on it, gets EXTREMELY hot....it WILL burn a little leg if it gets too close.

Quad18star
02-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah the pipe has a guard , but it still gets red hot . What you could do , is get header wrap ... the stuff that is used on drag cars . It's kind of like a heat retardent wrap that helps cut down some of the heat . I might put it on mine this summer and see how it works .

beak7707
02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
With out a doubt it gets hot enough to burn someone. But if they have boots and pants on they should be ok.

Ridin' Jesse
02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
With out a doubt it gets hot enough to burn someone. But if they have boots and pants on they should be ok.

Yep...i learned that the hard way...had shorts on a real hot day about 104 degrees n got burned a little when i moved my leg in the wrong spot.

400grl
02-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Pipe burnt through my pants before I knew it........so....pants alone won't help. Riding boots would be the only thing I can think of that would REALLY protect a leg. That heat shield stuff might also do the trick - I've never tried it.

rpyfz450
02-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
What you could do , is get header wrap ... the stuff that is used on drag cars . It's kind of like a heat retardent wrap that helps cut down some of the heat . I might put it on mine this summer and see how it works .

That wrap would make the pipe hotter since it insulates it from the cool ambient air. If you wrapped only the hottest part of the pipe, I'd imagine the rest of the pipe would get hotter too.

400grl
02-15-2005, 03:07 PM
He could wrap the kid's leg with it! :) ;)

Quad18star
02-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by rpyfz450
That wrap would make the pipe hotter since it insulates it from the cool ambient air. If you wrapped only the hottest part of the pipe, I'd imagine the rest of the pipe would get hotter too.

It's a weird material really .... we used to run it on our drag car and it actually disperced the heat better , yet made sure nothing around the exhaust headers would burn . :confused: I remember seeing a picture of a YFZ with it ... I think it was Keith Little or maybe Shane Hitt . I'd give it a shot ... usually a local automotive performance shop sells the stuff pretty cheap .

eddings
02-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but it won't disperse the heat better, but it does insulate the pipe to prevent you from burning yourself or any other bike parts from the extreme heat. The heat is forced to leave further out the exaust. Metal conducts heat faster than the wrap does so even though the wrap is almost as hot as the exhaust it won't burn you very quickly.

Same reason fire walkers can walk on hot coals without being burned, don't try that with metal of the same temp.

Snow Shark
02-18-2005, 02:34 AM
I went ahead and bought a yfz 450 today, the little one will get to ride on it Saturday morning I guess I will see how it works reeal soon. Thanks for the info