PDA

View Full Version : umm HELP 400ex broke.. electrical problems

zuLi0
05-02-2002, 04:17 PM
ok last night i tore the fenders off and stuff so i could add my killswitch. ok not a problem... after going to bed cause it was late i decided to finish the kill switch the smorning. started it up to make sure everything was fine before i started. everything checked out aok.

took the wires off and added the kill switch in between the (lt green) wire... anyways it didnt work wouldent even start. so i took it all back apart and rewired it again like black to black and green to green lt green to lt green anyways... the quad is dead in the water.

im pretty sure i never crossed wires. my nuetral light wonteven kick on.

my question is: has anyone ever done the same thing? are there fuses that will blow if somethign electrical goes? or does anyone have a freggin clue on what could have happened. any help would be appreciated. i do have a race tommorrow night if i could get the darn thing running again. like i said any help is highly appreciated. thanks

Charlie

Sparkles
05-02-2002, 04:36 PM
who makes the kill switch ?

nakomis0
05-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Yes there is fuses. And you probably blew one.

... Kill switch installation is very technical the ramifications of incorrectly installing this high tech device could be devastating. Leading to many problems such as engine Siezure, to spontaneous combustion of you flux cappacitators.

I would look into having a professional install this device. :)

...jk.

honda400zx
05-02-2002, 05:40 PM
maybe u left ur key on overnight battey might me a little weak
just a thought:confused:

Sick0
05-02-2002, 07:02 PM
You probly blow a fuse. Theres a 15watt fuse near the batery.

400exBro
05-02-2002, 07:47 PM
it is easyier to hook it up to the kill switch that is mount on the bars(orange slider) take it apart and suder the 2 wire to green and black.
BTW it helps if you have a honda maual for this and look at the wiring diagram at the back for help.
Bro

zuLi0
05-02-2002, 09:27 PM
ok thanks guys, i'll look tommorrow to see who makes the switch. i forget the manu. of it. its red and slides out from the side if that helps.

i never had this problem before installing a kill switch. heh. it was wierd i started it and then installed the switch and now nothing works. i even tried to go back to the way it was to begin with, hopefully it was a fuse.

thanks

Charlie

and as far as the professional installation goes, i prolly should have. heh

shane
05-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Yeah you prolly popped the fuse near the batt. I did it while hooking up a flag with a light at the top. Just replace the fuse and try again. This time unhook the Negative terminal from the batt. so it doesn't happen again.

Shane

zuLi0
05-02-2002, 11:02 PM
thanks for all the help, interesting that im not quite sure what happened, like i said i hope its just the fuse. never seemed to have this problem before. other then the fuse by the battery are there any more on the 400ex?

thanks guys

Charlie

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 08:20 AM
There should be a spare fulse in there too but make sure you replace it because if you blow it forsome reason when you are ridding you will wish you got a new one there pretty cheap(you can push start it with a blown fuse)

zuLi0
05-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Very interesting, so the fuse is only for the electronics of the starting system, not the electronics of it running. That is some very good information to know about. Thanks

Charlie

zuLi0
05-03-2002, 10:58 AM
ok well after taking a minute to check the fuse i found out that it was just a blown fuse. i did use the spare that they gave me and it fired right up.

after i fixed that i just hardwired the killswitch to the black and yellow box going to the rev limiter. everything works fine now.

just glad it was something small.

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Could you hook the kill switch up to your key?

zuLi0
05-03-2002, 03:55 PM
yea you could, all depending on how many of those 3 wires the key actually uses.

if you check it out, your aftermarket kill switch is usually about 12-18inches long. so what made it nice was you were able to hard wire it right into the the one revlimiter wire(black with yellow stripe) like it should be.

with the key on and everything you can still try and start it but it wont actually start, it will just make the starting noise.

thats just the way i did it and it seamed to work fine