PDA

View Full Version : Question?

duner487
02-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I am looking at buying a 250r, but the current owner doesn't have the title, he does have the bill of sale from the previous owner. Should I buy this quad?

ZRider400
02-13-2005, 04:33 PM
write down the vin and have the DMV check it to make sure it wasnt stolen....

Rich250RRacer
02-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by duner487
I am looking at buying a 250r, but the current owner doesn't have the title, he does have the bill of sale from the previous owner. Should I buy this quad?

Where are you located? Here in Ohio, dirt bikes and quads did not have titles until 1999. All that is needed for these older models is a bill of sale or receipt.

YFZRob
02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, every state varies. Here in FL, we didn't start using titles on off-road vehicles until early 2003! The overwhelming majority of off-road vehicles purchased before 03 will not have a title.

Jurassic Four
02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Ok, then I have a question on the subject... I bought a 250R from NY... the guy said that they didn't have titles back then. So, I was woundering if there is a way I can get a title?

wilkin250r
02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Let me get this straight, because I don't understand.

In these states, they didn't have titles AT ALL?

In Nevada, we don't require titles or registration on ATV's to ride them, but they still have titles. If you buy a new quad from a dealer, it comes with a title. As far as my knowlege goes, they always have, even though they are never required by the DMV or BLM to ride or own one. As such, titles for ATVs often get misplaced or lost, so it's not uncommon to buy a used ATV with no title. They simply aren't important.

Are you saying, in certain states, the dealers didn't issue titles AT ALL in prior years, even on brand new models?

JTRtrx250r
02-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Wa requires a Title and registration, w/o a title you cant get ORV sticker and tabs, and w/o those...you cant ride anywhere but closed course or private land

If we dont get a title...it has to be inspected by the State Patrol and they issue you a title ...as long as it dont come back stolen, if thats the case..bye bye quad, then you get to try and clear yourself or get busted for possion of stolen property

ALWAYS get a bill of sale!...at least

Rich250RRacer
02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Let me get this straight, because I don't understand.

In these states, they didn't have titles AT ALL?

In Nevada, we don't require titles or registration on ATV's to ride them, but they still have titles. If you buy a new quad from a dealer, it comes with a title. As far as my knowlege goes, they always have, even though they are never required by the DMV or BLM to ride or own one. As such, titles for ATVs often get misplaced or lost, so it's not uncommon to buy a used ATV with no title. They simply aren't important.

Are you saying, in certain states, the dealers didn't issue titles AT ALL in prior years, even on brand new models?

In Ohio, no title at all until 1999. The only thing you got from the dealer was Manufacturer Certificate of Origin. I purchased 4 new CR250's from 1987 to 1996 and none of them came with a title. My 99 CR does have a title. Before 1999 any sale of a used off-road motorcycle or ATV wasn't known about by the state. Somebody in the state Department of Taxation finally decided they wanted their cut of used machine sales, and started issuing titles on new models so they could collect sales tax when the vehicle is resold. Vehicles prior to 99 model year are still not required to have them, but Ohio encourages you to have older vehicles inspected and a title issued, for owner security, of course. :rolleyes:

Eddiesanders250
02-15-2005, 04:19 PM
o well i know exactly how you feel when i dorve to vancouver the guy lost the title. we were really hesitant about buying the bike but you can file for a lost title and contact the previous owner. so buy it and go to the DMV

TRX_250r18
02-15-2005, 05:59 PM
yeah i dont have a title and i bought it from a another guy who cares