PDA

View Full Version : Grip Problems

Dienamo111
05-02-2002, 02:35 PM
i was just wanting some advice on a good pair of grips? i have tried a couple of different companies grips and yet have found a good set.. by the way i am in the middle of testing out a pair of moose racing grips so far i havent formed an opinion. also any advice what to use to get them not to meve around i used scott grip glue and it was total junk i have heard hairspray and so on .......HELP!:huh

honda400zx
05-02-2002, 02:49 PM
factory 909 grips!!! there sweet!

papaw
05-02-2002, 04:33 PM
invest in a set of safety wire pliers about 15 bucks..

Sparkles
05-02-2002, 04:57 PM
scott

user101
05-02-2002, 05:43 PM
i really like my renthal grips. i had the medium compound and they lasted for about 3-4 months.

quadperson
05-02-2002, 06:08 PM
I just installed some Pro-Grips, they are way comfortable and offer a good grip. Hairspray works good, mountainbikers use it too. Just spray some inside your grip, then slide it on the bars real quick. The spray will offer good lubrication, but ya gotta hurry before it starts setting up. Let dry completely, then enjoy! Oh yeah, Aquanet seems to be everyone's fave.

shamisc
05-02-2002, 08:03 PM
I THINK THE OURY GRIPS ARE AWESOME! I'M ON MY SECOND SET AND THESE ARE ABOUT A YEAR OLD. THEY ARE SOFT AND STICKY. THEY GRIP REALLY GOOD.

VegasEx'r
05-03-2002, 01:27 AM
I use the Scott Hurricane grip ( I think that's what they're called) & Honda Grip glue. Safety wire is good to use, too.

dhines
05-03-2002, 06:49 AM
I won't ride or race on anything other than the Oury ATV grips:

http://www.rstc.net/ourygrip/html/atv_grips.html

They're comfortable as heck and I can usually get an entire season out of one pair.

For getting grips to stick, there's only two things that reliably work for me. One is safety wire and the other is super glue gel and gasoline. Just smear the gel around inside your grip, pour in a little gas, slosh it around, and then dump the gas out and slide the grip on your bar. Get it in place quick beacuse when the stuff dries, you'll need a jackhammer to get it off.

I have tried every other method for adhering grips to bars and none have worked for me.

Best,

Dennis

oynot400
05-03-2002, 08:23 AM
I have gone through the grip ordeal. I liked the FMF 909's but seemed to be slipperly when they got some mud on them. I could not get a month out of a pair of Scott's, they seemed to just tear apart. The best ones I have found are the Renthal grips and saftey wire. Now my Rancher came with Oury grips and they seem to be working good, but I am not racing it or have rode it much.

250rmike
05-03-2002, 12:54 PM
I think oury is by far the best. I have had them for several months and they have no wear. yet they are very soft and reduce vibration and give you good grip

Red Rooster
05-03-2002, 01:35 PM
I've had the oury atv grip but it was too thick for me to hang onto realy good(IMO its much less fatigueing to to have a thinner grip). Then I got the oury MX style atv grips. I love these grips! they seem to be holding up well. They are a full waffle design and thinner than the atv grips wich means that they don't cusion as much but its a happy medium.

Stunz
05-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Renthal Soft for me.

If you want to expand you options of grips to choose from, check out grips that they sell for ATB "mountain bikes". They have a larger selection and are a few bucks cheaper "sometimes".
There is a new style out the has chilli ppers on them, they come in red, black and yella.