PDA

View Full Version : do i need to jet yet?

whiteknuckle
05-02-2002, 02:27 PM
i just installed a K&N airfilter on my 2002 400 ex its otherwise still bone *** stock! do i need to jet yet? also i am going to be installing a white brothers pro meg exhaust in a month or two (expensive stuff those pipes) and i know i will need to jet then if i put the pipe on a run without it a few times will it hurt my quad??? and what is a good jet kit to buy? and can i do it myself or should i have it done? and is it expensive for the shop to jet a carb??? sorry so many questions guys but youre the only ones that can help me out. thanks.
WHITEKNUCKLE

BornOnFire
05-02-2002, 02:37 PM
I would have to say wait for your pipe before you re-jet. I put a K&N on mine for a few weeks first and found that I did not need to re-jet! I have heard that if you do an air filter, modded box, and a pipe, you will most likely need to re-jet. From what I have heard, a re-jet job can get expensive at a shop.

Do it yourself.

I suggest buying the Service/Repair Manual for your quad and doing most of the maintenance yourself. You'll save a ton of money and have the satisfaction of a job well done.

As far as a re-jet kit goes, you can buy the individual jets for about $4.00 a piece. The K&N kit comes with a plethera of jets that you may not need. I bought three jets for 12 bucks and I am done. Saved a little!

Good luck!

05-02-2002, 04:29 PM
I was like you and didnt know about jetting
we tried jetting my friends 400ex with a k&n power kit after he installed his new wb eseries pipe
we messed around and bent the needle and stripped some screws. ended up costing him about 200$
i just got my 400ex jetted at a local shop for 55$ and I know its done right and best of all if something would have broke they would have had to fix it

phatswinn
05-02-2002, 05:52 PM
:huh :huh howd u manage to do that:huh :huh

05-02-2002, 06:16 PM
skill and brains, my friend, skill and brains