PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil tank problem?

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-12-2005, 09:41 PM
well when i went to change my oil last saturday part of the oil tank came out and its stuck with the bolt. how could that have happened?

http://tinypic.com/1pwcoz

http://tinypic.com/1pwcpu

well do u guys think i should buy a new one or just try to get the bolt out and weld it. i can get another pic if you need it too

NacsMXer
02-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Happened to my 400 right after I got it. That area is very weak for some reason, and tends to snap off as a whole. I was in a bind when it happened to me so I ended up taking it to a boat dealership to get it welded. Now its all beefed up with aluminum around the bolt and has been perfect to the day. Just take it to someone who can heliarc weld that for you.

02-12-2005, 10:07 PM
i say weld it:o

nosliw
02-12-2005, 10:10 PM
good excuse to get an oversized oil tank!

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-12-2005, 10:34 PM
nacs, could you end up getting the bolt out of that part??? well yea my dad is going to weld it. btw how long ago did you weld yours?

Chino
02-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Same thing happend to mine, but the whole bottom of the oil tank actually caved in. I think the stock tanks are just plain JUNK, but i've saw some people have no problems whatsoever, possibly, if you change the washer on the bolt each time it wont happen and dont overtighten it. I wouldn't risk the weld unless you really trust whose doing it. A faulty oil tank is not something you want to have on your bike.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Chino
Same thing happend to mine, but the whole bottom of the oil tank actually caved in. I think the stock tanks are just plain JUNK, but i've saw some people have no problems whatsoever, possibly, if you change the washer on the bolt each time it wont happen and dont overtighten it. I wouldn't risk the weld unless you really trust whose doing it. A faulty oil tank is not something you want to have on your bike.

idk man my dad said hes going to weld it himself but hes only been working with welding and crap for 20 years:o :p

Chino
02-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
idk man my dad said hes going to weld it himself but hes only been working with welding and crap for 20 years:o :p

Like i said man as long as you trust whose doing it. I just don't like having half rigged up stuff on my bike and not being able to trust it 100% but " To Each His Own" just giving ya my opinion

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Chino
Like i said man as long as you trust whose doing it. I just don't like having half rigged up stuff on my bike and not being able to trust it 100% but " To Each His Own" just giving ya my opinion

its kool bro i was just messing with you. but yes my dad knows what he was doing. thanks for your help 2

clutt225
02-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Good reason to go oversized, it hapened to me twice.
I was changing the oil on a friends bike right be for a big ride, and wamo we stayed home. He got his welded and I belive has had no problems since. When mine broke 2 weeks later I figured screw that, and piced up a new CFM over sized.

Nice and shiney, I like shiney, so shiney.

markk
02-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Very common problem on the 400s, I took mine to a GOOD local welder, and He tiged it right up for me, I think it cost me 25$.

But it is a good excuse for an oversized tank!

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
well guys and gals i got it welded today. i think it turned out well. whats everyone think?

http://tinypic.com/1qikbk

JDiablo
02-14-2005, 05:15 PM
umm welded with gum,gum always does the trick;)

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
umm welded with gum,gum always does the trick;)

thats what i thought it was at first but its some sealant so its doesnt leak. whats everyone think?

Big400EX
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Well sorry the gum is covering up everything so we cant tell...

JDiablo
02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
thats what i thought it was at first but its some sealant so its doesnt leak. whats everyone think?

if it was welded good it wouldnt need it,lol

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
idk man my dad probably did it to make sure

Quadworks
02-14-2005, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't have anything that looked like that on my ride unless it was only a temporary fix (at the most)!!

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-14-2005, 05:48 PM
i guess everyone thinks it sucks:o

K_Fulk
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Will it even fit in the little rubber thing the drain is supposed to slide into?

I Broke one i was woring on last week, The main problem was it was on way to right and the crush washer was worn out. I just put my stock one on. And told him to pay me for when he had the cash.

Meek
02-15-2005, 02:40 AM
What kind of gum is that?:confused:

UglyMotha™
02-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm assuming some type of winter green or spearmint :o

PunkA$$
02-15-2005, 08:05 AM
well guys and gals i got it welded today. i think it turned out well. whats everyone think?

http://tinypic.com/1qikbk

Nice......you can hardly see where it broke.

tooth
02-15-2005, 09:37 AM
will looks like s#$t but if it works we did the same thing and it worked for a while but it will proly. break the next ouple times you change your oil hopefully it wont break when your riding and you not notice itjust some thing to watch out for, but you should get a new one umrproducts.com call and talk with them they should give you a good price

NacsMXer
02-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by tooth
will looks like s#$t but if it works we did the same thing and it worked for a while but it will proly. break the next ouple times you change your oil hopefully it wont break when your riding and you not notice itjust some thing to watch out for, but you should get a new one umrproducts.com call and talk with them they should give you a good price

It really depends on how well it was welded. I broke mine about 3 years ago, had it welded, and has been trouble free to this day. Too bad we can't see the weld job under that mess. :ermm:

zephead400ex
02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
:eek2: Paint the sob with high temp paint!

markk
02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
That looks like ***!!!!!!! Seriusly if it was welded correctly u wounlndt need any thing to keep it from leaking! Also i just had mine tigged togeather and it looked almost factory! And i still have a little bit of a problem trying to shove it into the grammet! at the bottom/and get the bolts to line up!

But like the other guy said if it works that all that matter, But id take all that stuff off and redo it!

oh yeah what kinda gum is it??? I like spearment!

BassGin3
02-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Nice......you can hardly see where it broke.

hahahaha

insaneracin2003
02-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
good excuse to get an oversized oil tank!
exactly,thats how i got mine

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-15-2005, 03:48 PM
yea i think it is spearment but it doesnt taste like it:rolleyes:
well idk wtf my dads doing it. i asked him, i was like dad why did u put a sealant on it. he was like do u want it broke or 2 be pretty. as long as it works its fine. but he said hes grinding it off. anyone know what hes up 2?

zephead400ex
02-15-2005, 03:57 PM
yea i think it is spearment but it doesnt taste like it:rolleyes:
well idk wtf my dads doing it. i asked him, i was like dad why did u put a sealant on it. he was like do u want it broke or 2 be pretty. as long as it works its fine. but he said hes grinding it off. anyone know what hes up 2?

Sand that crap down to where it's smooth and paint the whole canister with some high temp paint. My oil can leaked around the top of the can. It was welded somewhat like your's is, so I painted it, it looks just fine.

Check out the tank. I don't have any closer pics, but trust me, it looks better than having green schmag on your can.
http://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Quad/EXleftside.jpg

Chino
02-15-2005, 04:41 PM
replace that bolt and crush washer on the bottom of that oil tank to!