PDA

View Full Version : atv carrier?

i30nes
02-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Was lookin around at alternatives for hauling the quad around... Seeing as in how I dont really have the space to store a trailer. I found these.... Was wondering if anyone has any info on how well they hold up or any experiences with them. Thanks

http://www.hdpixel.com/gallery/data/500/584vhaul-med.jpg

theTman
02-12-2005, 06:57 PM
you would ahve to tie that quad down pretty damn tight for it to not bounce off

i30nes
02-12-2005, 06:58 PM
thats what i was thinkin... Along with the fact that it appears to have only the one support that attaches...

Splatter Matter
02-12-2005, 07:09 PM
looks like a good idea but how would see the trucks tail lights.
i only see reflectors on the Carrier.

bulkdriverlp
02-12-2005, 07:15 PM
my father in law has the basket type he bought from a tractor supply type store, the sides of it are expanded metal and it tilts so you can drive it up. what a mess that thing is, same reese hitch design. he has a little artic cat 250 4x4 for ice fishin and that thing was bouncin up and down something awful. horrible design, thats a lot of weight to be hangin out the back of a 2" square steel. id say definately DO NOT BUY THAT until you see somebody else that has one, just my opinion.

Aceman
02-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Unless your hitch is really tight it does seem like it would bounce your quad around a lot though. I don't know if you would still be able to see your taillights very well either. As far as it being strong enough, some hitches are rated to hold quite a bit of tongue weight but if it started bouncing I don't know if it would be strong enough. I know I definitely wouldn't put that thing on anything smaller than a full or maybe even midsize pickup.

markk
02-13-2005, 08:17 AM
WE built one for my dad Chevy Z-71 and it seemed to work ok, just 4 anchor straps and it didnt move a bit, As for lights we just took and wired it like a trailer and put lights on the back of it. It did seem to weight the truck down alot, and IM not 100%sure about this, But IMO i think it puts alot of stress on the receiver!

bulkdriverlp
02-13-2005, 09:30 AM
^^^exactly, i dont care if you have 2" solid steel, when you have 500lbs of quad dangling 4-5 feet away from the hitch, it will bounce all over the place, one thing you could do is put a support chain in the end hole of your box rails to help stabilize it, other than that i wouldnt bother

cds
02-13-2005, 06:42 PM
<<Was lookin around at alternatives for hauling the quad around... Seeing as in how I dont really have the space to store a trailer.>>

Northern Hydraulics Catalog sells (or at least used to) a 4x8' trailer that folds in the middle and stands up on end for storage. It wouldn't take much more space to store than that hitch carrier. Harbor Freight probably sells them too.

Granted, most of these cheap trailers are made of brittle steel and will not last as long as a regular trailer like you might build or buy at a trailer shop. I know from experience. I had the a-frame on one fatigue and break.

I'm not sure how you're storing your quad, but you might be able to put it on top of a 4x6' trailer for storage. Granted, if you're standing it up on the grab bar or don't have room for the trailer tongue, this wouldn't work for you.

As others have pointed out, hauling a quad supported by a receiver hitch is probably not going to be fun. You'd be much better off putting it in the back of the pickup truck.