PDA

View Full Version : ATC250R problems...

JxxxOxxxE
02-12-2005, 12:28 PM
We, my 85' 250R is finally about finished, but has now quit on me...I rebuilt the motor, new piston and rings, added a boysen rad valve, it has an FMF pipe, with a few small holes in it (dont have the $$$ for a new one yet), a PWK 39 mm with a 178, plus gap at .020, and I think thats it...

It has been running (not moving) for a for months now, so I finally got the chain and eveything put on.

I rode it lightly for about a week just up and down my road, and it felt pretty good. So I hopped on it Thursday, started up on the 2nd kick like always, and took off down the street, on my way back it started to sputter, then died and would not restart....I ended up pushing it back to the house...

I tried to start it again today, it started for a split second, sputtered then died. Now I can't get it to start again...

I checked the plug, I do have spark. I took the carb out and cleaned the jets well....what else is there to try

any ideas?

deathman53
02-12-2005, 01:11 PM
fouled plug? your jetting sounds rich.

ESR350r
02-12-2005, 06:56 PM
sometimes after a rebuild i have experienced fowling plugs before the rings get seated al the way. try a new plug and rejet it and see what happens but keep an eye on youe plug because things may change alittle after it is completely broke in.

beerock
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
plugs are cheap, buy a bunch run it a little rich and change the plugs often. 178 sounds fine, mayeb even a 175? im nto sure though i cant make jetting suggestions without seeing plugs. if the motor isnt ported your jetting is fairly close a little on the rich side, my fully ported 265 runs a 175-178 with a 39mm carb. I use to run the fmf so i know this set up well.

beak7707
02-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I would change plugs and make sure its getting enough fuel. After that I would look to spark, weak sparks is a known problem on the old 250s.