PDA

View Full Version : high comp piston

Castor-426ex
05-02-2002, 12:24 PM
i dont want to big bore yet...my motor is strong, and doesnt smoke...so I was wondering..what high compression piston could I run without using race gas? and would it really make a lot of difference with high speed riding, or would the improvement be more along the low end and mid range?
Also with a high comp piston, would there be additional stress on engine components that should worry me? Like valves, cam ect...Im not looking to spend a fortune, I just want a little more output....thnx

oynot400
05-02-2002, 01:09 PM
The max you can go without running race gas is 11:1 compression. I am sure exceeding that will add extra stress to the rest of the engine, how much I don't know. The connection rod and clutch would be the biggest concern I would think. If you have to buy a new piston and rings, to have the sleeve bored is not that much more. I would guess about $50. I think you might see a bigger power increase by doing a 416 kit with a 10.5 to 11:1 compression.
That is just my thoughts....;)

400exRacerX
05-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Well that isnt exactly true in some cases. I have the 10.8:1 JE 416 piston and my motor "pings" under load. AKA predetonation<<<<not a good thing. I know Leo also has pinging problems and he has the 10.5:1 stock bore piston. I just run half c12 and half super.

TrxTex
05-02-2002, 04:48 PM
I have the wiseco 11:1 standard bore and mine pings under high load also. I havent tried the 50/50 mix of race gas but I will this weekend. I hear that the pings should stop......using the higher octane gas.

:D