PDA

View Full Version : This is B.S.

kevin00
02-11-2005, 08:48 PM
.Nebraska ATV registration bill (http://www.nohva.com/News2005/lb-721.htm)

I know several states have already passed registrations and the like but this proposal is boderline insanity.
Summary...
-All atv and dirt bikes must be registered w/ plates
-Still no riding on public roads and highways. exception of farmers and ranchers
-NO MONEY goes to trails or new riding areas. for how big the state is there should be way more places to ride to begin with.
-Insurance is Required (although will probably be scratched off the bill)
-plus many other bad details like no kids can ride on public land etc. etc. etc.
Has any of your guys states tried to pass a junk bill like this one??? Several people are going to get a letter from me.
The real sad thing is that this bill is sponsered by people who are suspossed to be on are side.
I think this bill will get shot down but anything is possible

Mxjunkie
02-11-2005, 08:51 PM
All machines would be required to carry proof of insurance just like other licensed motor vehicles. Operators would have to carry a current drivers license. Machines may require an inspection by the local Sheriff's Department prior to registration.

The final purchase price at the dealer would be less, but the purchaser of the ATV or dirtbike would have to pay $200 to $500 for insurance and property taxes, plus sales tax. It will drive the cost of purchasing a new ATV or dirtbike in Nebraska.

:rolleyes: pretty damn gay they dont do this with tractors or anything else that i know of...

SRH
02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by kevin00
.Nebraska ATV registration bill (http://www.nohva.com/News2005/lb-721.htm)

I know several states have already passed registrations and the like but this proposal is boderline insanity.
Summary...
-All atv and dirt bikes must be registered w/ plates
-Still no riding on public roads and highways. exception of farmers and ranchers
-NO MONEY goes to trails or new riding areas. for how big the state is there should be way more places to ride to begin with.
-Insurance is Required (although will probably be scratched off the bill)
-plus many other bad details like no kids can ride on public land etc. etc. etc.
Has any of your guys states tried to pass a junk bill like this one??? Several people are going to get a letter from me.
The real sad thing is that this bill is sponsered by people who are suspossed to be on are side.
I think this bill will get shot down but anything is possible

thats exactly the same as nys laws, it wont get shot down i bet....

chucked
02-12-2005, 08:15 AM
same here, plus you must carry a letter of permission from the owner of the land your on and any other property within 300 feet.

baja_racer
02-12-2005, 08:23 AM
That is BS......maybe it's not so bad to live in California???

Quad18star
02-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the laws that have been put in place here in Ontario Canada for the last 20 years .

baja_racer
02-12-2005, 09:58 AM
That's why all the trees in the United States lean toward Canada....Canada sucks.

lol

Derag2
02-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I really hope this thing doesn't get passed. So basically any body under the age of 16 can't ride there ATV or dirtbike? if i read that correctly. The least they could do is give the money to trails and whatnot.

Maybe someone could start a petition on the net and then send it to the senator or something.

nacs400ex
02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Welcome to the laws that have been put in place here in Ontario Canada for the last 20 years .

The only trouble us ATVers in Ontario have (well atleast Barrie) is the OFSC (snowmobile club), they think they OWN the county trails, because they pay a membership in the winter. Well who do you think does all the trail maintence in the summer? ATVers. They hasnt really been any trail closings around here lately.

I have a feeling, trails will be closing down soon though. A selected few have to be retards, and it gives the rest of the bunch a bad name.

Quad18star
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
The only trouble us ATVers in Ontario have (well atleast Barrie) is the OFSC (snowmobile club), they think they OWN the county trails, because they pay a membership in the winter. Well who do you think does all the trail maintence in the summer? ATVers. They hasnt really been any trail closings around here lately.

I have a feeling, trails will be closing down soon though. A selected few have to be retards, and it gives the rest of the bunch a bad name.

Yeah ... the OFSC tried doing that up here also , but then the local snowmobile clubs stepped in and told the OFSC executives that they wanted the ATVers to be on the trails . Makes less work for them once the snow falls . In Elliot Lake and area now , including Sudbury , we now have a wikked ATV trail system .... soon enough we will be on par with those of Quebec . The ATV Federation is hoping to one day have a cross Canada ATV trail system like they have for the sleds .

Now as far as that bill , why wouldn't you want your ATV registered ? If they were to set it up like we have up here , you would only have to pay a 1 time fee of $35 . It helps out a lot when it comes to stolen ATVs ... a cop stops someone , runs the plate number or the VIN number threw a computer system and they it shows up if it's stolen or not . I'd much rather pay $35 and ahve a chance of recovering my ATV and losing $6000 .

Insurance is a debatable issue . I wouldn't hesitate for one about NOT having insurance . You get in an accident and someone sues you , you're in chit over your head if you don't have an insurance . Poor guy that hit me and had no insurance is up chit creek cuz I ain't paying all my medical bills .

Registering and having insurance papers might one day lead to the ATVers in your state to be able to ride on the roads . After 20 years , we have finally won the right to ride on the shoulder of the road up here . The case was brought forward in the courts and the ATVers won . If cars are registered and have insurance and they are allowed to ride the roads .... why should it be any different for ATVs right?? We won !!!!!

There's always gotta be some law against kids and ATVs ... that will all depend on what you guys fight for .

Derag2
02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
making it so kids under16 can't ride is crap..... Theres a ton of kids that go to the headgate and genoa and ride Theres no reason why kids shouldn't be able to ride when there with there parents. They won't ever allow anyone to ride an ATV on the road. You can't even ride in the ditch here without getting pulled over.

mxquadracer
02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Minnesota has run those same rules for quite a while now too:o

Sorry to say it, but I'd put my money on the bill passing

ReconRider25
02-12-2005, 05:03 PM
been like that here in new york. ur not the only one. just wait till they start chargin 40 bucks fer reg.:eek2:

chucked
02-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
been like that here in new york. ur not the only one. just wait till they start chargin 40 bucks fer reg.:eek2:

its almost 70 here, every 12 months

kevin00
02-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Quad18star
If you have insurance you will proably have theft protection so why would you need a database? Your covered and that would make the idea of a database less practical and not worth the overall cost. If sombody wants to take the chance of riding w/o insurance its their problem. the goverment should not have the right to make it manditory. that fee their talking about would not be a one time thing. It would be every year and whare would the money go, who knows?
and there is no way they would let us ride on roads either.
this bill as it sits is good only for toliet paper.:devil:

Quad18star
02-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kevin00
Quad18star
If you have insurance you will proably have theft protection so why would you need a database? Your covered and that would make the idea of a database less practical and not worth the overall cost. If sombody wants to take the chance of riding w/o insurance its their problem. the goverment should not have the right to make it manditory. that fee their talking about would not be a one time thing. It would be every year and whare would the money go, who knows?
and there is no way they would let us ride on roads either.
this bill as it sits is good only for toliet paper.:devil:

It would all depend on what type of insurance coverage you have . Some people only buy colision liability , some go with the works .

You guys would have to fight to get the registration to be a one time deal ... in Ontario it's a one time thing .... $35 they give you a plate ... if you lose the plate it costs you extra to get a new one .

We thought the idea of riding the roads would never happen either , but now we have a Federation that stands up for ATV riders and we got the bill passed that allows us to ride the shoulder of the roads .... Never say never .

kevin00
02-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Thats true about the insurance. but most peple who have insurance have theft on the policy.
I think the dealers would go for the one time thing because then it would still require the person to pay sales tax. but the state looks at it as a yearly income so they will fight to keep it that way.
this personnally for me is not that bad but i'm thinking about other people here as well. like the kids that cant ride on public land and people like my dad who only use their quad for farm work, he dosent want to pay a couple hundred bucks a year to check pivots ya know.