PDA

View Full Version : fully adjustable versus compression only

Razorback
05-02-2002, 11:04 AM
I'm in the market for new suspension. Planning on getting +2 standard travel houser a-arms and elka shocks. I don't really understand what the difference is between the fully adjustable shocks versus the compression only. Does the fully adjustable offer preload and rebound? or is there more to it? The Elkas have SSD, so preload shouldn't matter anyway, right? I'm just not real knowledgeable about suspension and want to make sure I make the right decision for this big of a purchase.

also, is there an advantage to the remote versus piggy back? I like the idea of the piggy back because I wouldn't have to worry about mounting the remote ones.

If it makes a difference, I've started mx racing and plan to do that mostly, with occasional trail riding mixed in.

I've searched through the other threads and couldn't find the answer I needed, so sorry if this is a repeat. Thanks...

Evan
05-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Fully adj means compression and rebound adj. I have just compression adj on triple rate axis, and I see no need for rebound adj. I think only the pros use the rebound, to me it screws you up.

TRX250R87
05-02-2002, 02:03 PM
I was told by Elka that setting the rebound on front shocks will be difficult because both sides will have to be exact.
Also, you will gain a little travel without the rebound dials at the bottom of the shocks.

Piggy backs or remote reserviors are both OK. I just got the remotes for kicks.

ERIC

Razorback
05-02-2002, 02:25 PM
thanks for the responses. i appreciate the help...

05-04-2002, 12:32 AM
I have the fully adjustable Elka's. You probably don't need them. The ONLY reason that I got them is because I'm going through some dramatic weight loss (currently at approx 350# from 525# and still dropping). Anyways, I needed all the adjustment I could get, to compensate for continued loss.

Get the comp-adj only set, you be tickled pink (or red, or yellow) . . . you get the point :D

RoostinOna400ex
05-04-2002, 12:40 PM
The only need for rebound on your shocks is if you plan on racing tt and mx and trails with the same quad and shocks because if you race mx you fast if you race like a super cross track you want really fast if you race trails you want slow and if you race tt you want really slow! most peole dont do all these so the rebound it not needed!

Ex'rMike
05-06-2002, 08:41 PM
I have the Elka SSD all the way around. I only have comp adjust on the front and the rear has comp and rebound. With the rebound adjust you do loose an inch of travel. I have found the rear adjustable rebound to be quite useful. I adjust mine a good bit depending on the riding style. I do a lot of XC, very little MX. I hope this helps. Good Luck. I also highly recommend C&D Racing.
Michael

www.cdracingonline.com

RoostinOna400ex
05-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Its good to have rebound on the rear shock but pointless on the front!!