PDA

View Full Version : Need your PERSONAL skidplate opinion

Pepto_Bismol
05-02-2002, 10:35 AM
For those of you who actaully HAVE or use a skid plate, Can you tell me:
1) Who made it
2)price
3)ease of installation
4)Performace, how do you like it and would you buy it again?

I really need to know cause I'm out to buy one this week. I'm only looking for the fullbody(engine area) skidplate first, not the swingarm.(that will be later)
Thanks
Pepto:cool:

knighttime
05-02-2002, 11:05 AM
get the AC skid and be done with it :eek:

exTAZe400
05-02-2002, 11:14 AM
I have the AC and am happy w/ it. Was easy to install. My only complaint is that it I have to take it off to change my oil otherwise I get a huge mess all over the skidplate.

Texan32
05-02-2002, 11:24 AM
I put my prm on 2 months ago. Very sturdy! Not very heavy! Has holes predrilled for changing oil! 10 minutes to put on! 95 bucks to my door! web address.... www.prm-atv.com
I called and ordered strait from them.

VERY pleased with thier products...going to order a grab bar from them soon....they are (to my knowledge) the only company that makes grab bars for the 400 and they sell the weld on tabs for bolting the grab bar on...

gojk
05-02-2002, 12:01 PM
I have a Dg. It was good but it is pretty banged up now. I think if I buy another it will be a PRM. They seem to hold up the best out of the ones I have seen. All of them should be easy to install.

Red Rooster
05-02-2002, 12:11 PM
Maier HOLDING UP GREAT with just a few scratches. Put it on a year and a half ago. Very easy to install; also has a hole for draining oil. I don't go rock pounding, ever, so I decided the light weight was the way to go.
Cost $55(for 300ex)

Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat!!!

exTAZe400
05-02-2002, 12:29 PM
FYI,

the AC has holes for draining the oil it just doesn't seem to be where the oil wants to go. Is quicker to just remove it and change oil and replace.

G

300eXTraILRyDeR
05-02-2002, 12:45 PM
I have AC and im just going to say it isnt all its cracked up too be:mad:

Bud88
05-02-2002, 12:50 PM
make your own its cheep and easy i just made one last night

Zingnut
05-02-2002, 12:52 PM
I have an AC Belly Skid and the fit is not all that great but its function is average. I have quite a few big dents and cuts in it from the rocks in IL and KY. The PRM quality I found in the A-arm skids I bought. They work great and have taken the punishment and look to be almost still new. Finally I would also recommend the Amadillo swing skid. It has taken a beating and it working great and has not gave an inch to the rocks it has met. I have a buddy that has an AC swing skid and it keeps mashing up on the disc in the trails. That sux to fix on the trails. I forget what I paid but it was average on all pieces.

Giz400ex
05-02-2002, 01:22 PM
I have an AC and I believe I paid $80.00 from Recreation Unlimited. The changing oil process is a little difficult but either way if its a AC, DG, PRM, ect... your still gonna have that problem. Taking the plate off everytime you change the oil seems to be a little to far out for me. But, I do take my plate off sometimes to clean it but I'm talking once every 4-6 months.

Texan32
05-02-2002, 01:29 PM
With the PRM...once its on, you will NOT have to take it off....especially for an oil change. It has two large (1-1/2 inch) holes drilled exactly where the oil drains from

mopar 400
05-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Definitly go with PRM. Awesome, easy to put on, light and take a beating. I hav both a full set of DG, on my dads, and a full set of PRM, ans ease of instalation is much better on the PRM. The DG are a pain in you know what.

05-02-2002, 01:36 PM
I got DG skids on my Warrior, the body skid was very easy to put on, every thing lined up perfectly, and the oil is still easy tod drain. The A-arm guards were more difficult to bu on, but din't require any cutting or drilling. Everything lined up great on the swingarm guard, but it's not as strong as I would like it to be. It's not rubing the rotar or sprocket but it's clearly bent.
A little off the subject but the DG nerfs were a pain in the ***, I had to get a tie down and hook it to my axel loop it around the nerf then around the axel and hook the other end to the nerf, to get leverage(like a pulley), and then pull it back so it would bolt on correctly.

For my 250r I am trying to keep the weight down so I will probably by durablue's swingarm skid:
http://www.durablue.com/skid.html

and Quad Tech's carbon fiber body skid:
http://www.atving.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/quadtech.cfm

(Has quad tech gone out of business, I can no longer find their website?:confused:)

Chris

Giz400ex
05-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Texan32, your telling me that no oil and I mean NO OIL gets on the plate???? not even a couple of small drops???

TRX250R87
05-02-2002, 02:32 PM
I too have a full length PRM on my R, but I had to modify it for my Arens frame. It's very nice but collects dirt between it and the engine.
ERIC

Poncho
05-02-2002, 07:31 PM
PRM is the way to go. Mine only has a few scratches and has been through he!!. :D

Chef
05-02-2002, 07:40 PM
I have one of those pro-tect stainless ones, but the sad thing is that we couldnt get it to fit my swingarm....it hit the linkage, But i think i can make it work...If I cant, then it will be for sale..Paid $150 with shipping

Texan32
05-03-2002, 08:02 AM
I'm trying to remember....
Honestly i would be lying if i said that "not a drop" got on the skid plate. I ONLY say that because i don't remember. But, the last time i changed my oil was the first time i actually did it right. Yeah, i felt like a jackass! For a year now, i have been draining the oil at the tank and pulling that little bolt out thats below the oil filter (the 8mm that right below the two oil in/out lines). Anyhow, for some ignorant reason i didn't realize the LARGE OIL DRAIN BOLT on the OTHER side of the motor (by the shifter). Once i pulled that out, alot more oil came pouring out. Now, if i remember correctly, no oil collected on my skid from the two drain bolts.

Hopefully someone will reply and let me know that i'm not the only idiot that did this...change the oil wrong...:rolleyes:

Bud88
05-03-2002, 12:30 PM
texan i did the same thing dont feel bad

Razorback
05-03-2002, 12:39 PM
i did the same thing too. what i've started doing now is tilting the quad up on the right side, then putting some cardboard or something shaped into a U and put it under the drain bolt (by the shifter) and let it drain into the pan. before i figured this out, i got oil all over the full-body skid. what a mess.

Bud88
05-03-2002, 12:42 PM
never thault of doing that one

Texan32
05-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys. That makes me feel a lot better. I didn't want to be the only one....:rolleyes:

Braff1
05-03-2002, 03:23 PM
I made my own from 3/16" aluminum plate. I paid 30.00$ for the sheet. I had enough aluminum to make my skid plate and a-arm gaurds. I used steel flat bar for the mounting brackets.

All you need is a reciprocating saw and a grinder to smooth out the edges.

Check with Kadify on here I sent a copy of the template to its ease of construction.

Pepto_Bismol
05-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Braff1,
If you happen to get around to it, send me the template. I do have access to a couple of machine shops from time to time, and I considered making my own(or having one made), but I get real busy during the week at work. Thanks
Pepto:cool:

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 08:21 PM
I have a PRM I really like it although I havent really need it it seems REALLY strong if you ride in rocks you should really think about it. The only problem is you cant put on one mounting bracket with AC standard (mabe enven propeg) nerfs so it rattles a little but what you can do is use a zip tie tightner and to zip ties and use them insted of the bolts. I love mine really nice quality

NacsRacing400
05-03-2002, 08:43 PM
I have had both ac and prm skid plats on my swing arm. There are pros and cons to both. If you jujst race and dont trail ride and just want alittle extra protection get the ac. Its light and gives you alittle more ground clearence. If you are looking for something that will take abuse on the trails get the prm. That thing was bullet proof. Its made out of some really thing aluminum. The ac i broke after two rides because on my old quad all i did was ride trail. The prm i had on for over a year and a half with no dents or anything and i sold that quad to my brother and there isnt a bend to it. It barely has any scratches even and i have hit some big rocks with it when i rode with it.

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Pepto is looking for a FRAME skid though I dont think any frame dont think you loose hardly any ground clearence with a frame skid

NJ300ex
05-04-2002, 11:58 AM
I have an AC frame skid on my 400ex. I like it and it mounts up fine. It doesn't rattle at all but it does catch alot of dirt between the frame and engine and it doesn't come with the crankcase drain plug hole. It only has scratches on it and it was on when i bent my protect stainless swingarm skid. I would say its strong and mounts nicely. I got it over the prm because I like how it looks with the AC bumper on the 400ex.

I also have a prm belly skid on my 300ex. I like it and it mounted up a little harder than the 400ex but that is probably due to the design of the machine. It is definatly beefy and i have had no real problems with it. It does rattle however but is not noticable unless you heard the bike before it was put on. The oil was changed easily with it with no mess.

I believe both are good products and I like both. The prm seems tougher but both still give good protection. I recomend both but I believe the AC looks better with an AC bumper.

NateLHonda
05-04-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by killer98warrior
[B
(Has quad tech gone out of business, I can no longer find their website?:confused:)

Chris [/B]

this is thier website
http://www.quadtech-atv.com/

05-06-2002, 06:57 AM
I have the maier full body skid along wiht the maeir a-arm gaurds. Took me probably 15 minutes maybe to put them all on. They work great and are super light. Have yet to change the oil since i out the on. but it has a good sized hole to use for it so it will be easy. The are cheap also cost me like 110$ delivered for both frame and a arm gaurds.