PDA

View Full Version : Hypers hubs

bigz-71
02-11-2005, 09:42 AM
i have a set of 8 inch hypers with dual beadlocks and i was wondering what you guys have done about the carter key. i am having a hard time getting carter keys in because of the integrated hub. so if you got any helpful tips, please help me.

i also was wondering were the spacer that comes with the hubs go. i heard comments about the hypers making it narrow so i thought the spacer might go on the axle to help out width but i also was thinking it goes on the front side of the wheel so the nut does not tighten on the wheel. it also came with a key ring type circle piece, what is that and whats is it for?
thanks

CdaleXtreme
02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah the hipers with spacers at full wide I am only at 48 inches. and thats with a Lonestar 2+2. I guess the 450R axle is a tad narrower than other setups?

As far as the cotter pin goes, what is the problem? You tighten the nut until the holes line up and slide it through. I have to check mine after every ride. those splines will waste away if you dont tigthen them often.

bigz-71
02-11-2005, 02:37 PM
have you tried to put a cotter pin in on those wheels. it almost impossible. it hard to describe in words. you would just have to see it or try to do it.

drthrottle
02-11-2005, 02:48 PM
It is a tight space but you can use other fasteners besides a cotter pin to secure the nut. The spacer goes on the axle before the ih (intergrated hub). Iput a washer on before the axle nut but it's not required. 48" is where you will be. I am machining new ih that will bolt to custom 1" spacers to get 50". Good luck

chris450R
02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
so what width axles are you guys running with the 8" hipers that you are only at 48"? stock width of the 450R is 46.3". so if you got a +3 or +4 wouldn't it be at 49-50 inches? what is it about the 8" hipers with integrated hubs that make it narrower?

drthrottle
02-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I switched to a g-force 2+2 w/ the hipers because they have the ih and wouldn't work w/ my durablue. I had to put my backup holeshots back on while i'm doing the fab work. on the same offset as the hipers 3+5, the itp t9s have my rear end at 50". I had it explained to me that the hipers design was based on 250r/400ex bikes and might be the reason a man ought to go up to 9" on the rear instead of 8"(no ih) I'll tell you right now for free, that's what I will do next time.

maskale
02-11-2005, 09:07 PM
I have to check mine after every ride. those splines will waste away if you dont tigthen them often. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah I stripped one of mine out last week and the other one is almost gone too. I am don't like that IH at all, to me it does not save much weight either, if any. I would recomend putting some blue locktight on the axle nuts and torque to 100 pounds.

As far as the cotter pins, it is tight but mine go in fine, just hold them with some needle nose and slide them in, if you got some that are too long then just cut some of it off.

bigz-71
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
thanks for the help. i am going to put some lock tight on them.