PDA

View Full Version : Jetting and pipe questions!!

BornOnFire
05-02-2002, 09:45 AM
I just got the E-Series WB Slip-On exhaust and some jets in the mail yesterday.I bought the 165 main and the 40 and 42 pilot jet for my 400EX as well.

My question? Does anyone have this same setup as me? I have a modified Airbox and K&N filter. When I put this pipe on today, I plan on installing the 165 jet and the 40 pilot jet. Does this sound right to anyone here? I need some advice before I f-up my machine! I appreciate any advice people can give.

Thanks

RideRed400EX
05-02-2002, 10:00 AM
Sounds like a good place to start but don't expect perfect results with only one main jet. I wouldn't worry about f'ing up your bike provided that you don't run it lean for a long period of time.

BornOnFire
05-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Are you saying that I should get a few different jets just in case? What about the discs on the E-Series. How many Are you running? And how much of a tuning effect to these provide by adding and subtracting a few at a time?

Thanks for the response!

James

BornOnFire
05-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Bump...........

Where's the love folks?

:devil

mopar 400
05-02-2002, 01:02 PM
The jetting on your bike is going to have a lot to do wit hyour location. Elevation, air humidity, and a few other variables. A 165 is a good place to start, but it may be a tad rich. If you get a chance buy a few more jets of various szes and play with them until you get tha spark plug burning a light brown color. If your plug is black your runnin rich, if it is white, then your runnin lean. It is tough to just come on here and say that is the right size, but it is a good start.

As for the discs, the more you have on the more top end you will have, and the less, the more low end. Just leave them off and you lose about 2 ponies, that is quoted from a long talk with a W/B rep just the other day. It is loud as heck with no discs though.

Good luck and remember it is always better rich then poor ( i mean lean.)

DESDAK4
05-02-2002, 01:03 PM
I run 18 with the 170 main jet 42 pilot and the K&N needle on the fouth notch down at less than 3000 ft and my bike runs great I have no lag at any point in the throttle. I can also bring the front tires off the ground with very little effort going into fourth. Keep my other mods in mind.