PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about Penn State

DeerNuts
02-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I plan on going to Penn State Worthington (Scranton) to take summer classes and enroll there full time in the fall. I have 18 college credits from another college already so I guess I'll be a transfer student. Anybody have anything to say about the college? I can't stay at Worthington to graduate though, Ill have to go to University Park or Erie to finish out, I suppose.

Main campus is like the number 4 party school in the country, but local campuses, at least Worthington, are pretty dinky and it only has like 1500 students and no dorms. Ill just be traveling like 20 miles to it.

Anybody that goes there, what do you think of campus hopping to finish out, good or bad? I have mixed feelings, but plan on getting an apartment with a buddy I graduated when I have to go to main. I think I can look forward to some good times! :devil:

Id appreciate any info., thanks!

Tommy 17
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to rank professionals against amateurs." - Playboy Magazine

does that say enouf;)

i go to penn state and it doesn't even compared to any of the other colleges i've been 2... i've gone to pitt main, upj, iup, dusqene, mount, lockhaven, penn tech, temple, slippery rock u name it i've been there this year... and not ONE competes with penn state when it came to parties... IUP was supposed to be the best party place in pennsylvania and their whole home coming didn't compare to one house party at penn state on halloween...

penn state is also one of the most reconized colleges in the country... when penn state talks bout something people listen...

i'm at a branch campus ALTOONA right now but i will transfer to main in 2 years...

Rico
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Its a school for girly men from what I hear...:o

jja125
02-11-2005, 10:27 AM
i graduated from there about 5 years ago. i started out at penn state new ken campus for one year then went up to main. i didn't party too much while i was up there till my last year cause i was taking civil engineering adn pretty much had homework or tests most of the time. that part pissed me off when everybody else got to go out all night i had to study, but i waited till my last year to take all my electives so i had a whole year to go to the bars. my last year there i took my gym credits, health class, public speaking, american indian studies, and some other class that i never went to - it was much better up there that year :devil: i would guess you will end up liking it there. its a good school so you can't really go wrong. i would definitely go to main campus to graduate instead of graduating from one of the branches just because it seems like there are a lot more job opportunities to interview, etc. up at main campus. there's about 20 different bars there that are all good depending on what you are in to, but i'm sure you'll find one that works.

jja125
02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
one of the funniest things i remember up there was joan jett walked out into the alley behind the crowbar one night i guess after her concert or whatever and was carrying stuff onto their tour buss and busted me peeing in the alley while my roomate was puking. she just looked at us and shook her head and got on the bus :rolleyes: one thing you don't want to do up there is go to the mcdonalds on college ave on friday or saturday nights. i don't want to get into it on here, but anybody thats been there will know what i'm talking about.

Tommy 17
02-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by jja125
one thing you don't want to do up there is go to the mcdonalds on college ave on friday or saturday nights. i don't want to get into it on here, but anybody thats been there will know what i'm talking about.

:D haha

i say the funniest thing i've seen up there was halloween there was so many people around cannon pizza and cedar brook that u literally couldnt walk!!!! people were doing all kinda funny stuff that i shouldn't even post on here...

i'll be up there tonight so mayb i'll take a few pictures and show you guys what its like... we are having a huge party next weekend up there also:macho

zephead400ex
02-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Tommy, don't forget your rootbeer bottle!:D

coryatver
02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I go to penn state erie. Its a good time.

K_Fulk
02-11-2005, 04:43 PM
There football team needs some help. :D

I know that isnt the opinion you were looking for. :devil: sorry

catch22blaster
02-11-2005, 04:45 PM
ya thier team does suck

tamehart
02-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I am at Penn State Main right now. Academics are much harder at the main campus, due to the many distractions. I went to berks for two years and kept a 3.9 gpa. I have a cushion to sit on now. Like Tommy, I have been to many other colleges, the party atmosphere is so much better mannered here at PSU. A lot less fights and what not.

The thing that most matters, Penn State is a highly recognized school. If you degree is from PSU, you rank a lot higher than many. Many companies have PSU alumnia and you know they higher their own over outsiders.

Whatever you decided...visit main campus some evening...I assure you, you will have a good time.......right tommy

Tommy 17
02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
i am at main right now! i just got to meet larry the cable guy:devil:

DeerNuts
02-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the good opinions guys. From what I gather, not only is it a hell of a party school, but its also a good school academically. Its what you make of it I suppose. I just know I need to get caught up so I can graduate on time. I actually plan on doing poly. sci. or maybe even history and go to law school someday. Make a crapload of money down the road possibly. Just cant let myself get so distracted that I end up having to drop out.:rolleyes:

I think that Penn States law school is now at Dickinson College. One of my high school teachers went there back when it wasnt so expensive. Thats the nice thing about state schools, a ton of help financially. How much did you all have to pay to go there? I have a friend who pays about 4000 per YEAR. Considering that the cost could be about 10,000 or so a year, thats pretty darn good. Based on my family's situation, I stand to get a lot of aid. That is definately a good thing for sure.

Def. looking forward to being there. :cool:

Tommy 17
02-12-2005, 09:54 AM
i pay 18,000$ a year i think to go to penn state... i get a lil bit of aid but not alot... lots and lots of loans:(

its def a party school but u have to learn how to manage ur time... i party some but its not EVERY day... there is limits and u have to do work 1st...

Tommy 17
02-12-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/?movie_id=109345

watch that it'll show u something u will see alot of....

DeerNuts
02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
i pay 18,000$ a year i think to go to penn state...

Tommy, you pay that much per year? I would guess that main campus is a bit more, but the campuses vary in cost depending on location? I honestly didn't know that. The one here in Scranton costs a little over $10,000 per year, but of course there are no dorm rooms. You do stay on campus out there, right? Room and board fees add a lot to the total cost. $18,000 seems like an awful lot to finance.

Tommy 17
02-12-2005, 11:03 PM
my dorm room is 3,000$ or 3,500$ a year!!!!!! food is 1500$ a semester... thats 6,000 alone:(

i think its 18,000 it mayb 17,000 i forget...