PDA

View Full Version : reassembly problem

SHADETREE101
02-10-2005, 07:02 PM
well i broke the cog on the second gear 31 tooth. i split the cases and replaced the cog and shift fork that was slightly bent. everything worked perfect. then i noticed it getting hot. steam rolling off the vale cover. i thought it was just oil from assembly but it was the cover itself getting hot. i pulled the oil lines off and they leaked no oil, not good right. so i blew air into the fill line and it came rushing out. wasn't dirt clogging the line, i am very careful when i fill it so there is no dirt in the funnel, i am guessing an air pocket or something. it runs fine now but when i first starts it puffs the blue smoke of death. then once it is warmed up it stops. it only does this on cold start up. once it is warmed up it doesn't smoke. what do you think? valve guides/ seals, rings i don't know. there is no valve train noise other than normal.

K_Fulk
02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Did you lube the cam in rockers when you put it back together?Did you put the cam bearings back in the right way?

SHADETREE101
02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah i used alot of molly lube when i reassemble. i tore the top end open tonight, the rockers look perfect, and there appears to be no galling or wear in the head where the cam rides. i though for sure the head and valve cover would have been damaged. looks like i am going to have to open it all the way up and check the rings.

notfastenuf4me
02-11-2005, 08:10 PM
sounds to me like a chevy id bet ur valve seals are shot

K_Fulk
02-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by notfastenuf4me
id bet ur valve seals are shot

SHADETREE101
02-12-2005, 08:35 PM
yeah i kind thought so too, i'm gonna tear down the valves tomorrow. i'll let you know what i find.

SHADETREE101
02-14-2005, 10:28 PM
good call valve seals are toast, ordered new ones today. thanks for your opinion.

Fortman_400
02-20-2005, 11:06 AM
while u got the top cover off of the head, check the bearings on the cam, if the inner race of the ballbearing turned blue, that means that it majorly overheated and lost its temper, and needs replaced

SHADETREE101
02-20-2005, 04:15 PM
well i changed the valve seals and the ba$tard still smokes on start up, i guess teh rings took a dump. gonna pull the cylinder this weeek and have ot honed and refreshed with new rings. other than that everything else is o.k.
thanks for the tip on the cam bearings, they looked good but i may replace them anyway.

SHADETREE101
02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
pulled the cylinder and the piston is smoked, so i order the 426 je 13:1 piston and am gettin it bored tomorrow. thanks to all that listened to my frustration.