View Full Version : Beading Sand tires

norcalatver
02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I cannot get one of my Skat Trak tires to bead up for anything. It'll hold air for weeks and also hold air while riding but everytime I turn sharply and gas it it comes off the bead and goes flat instantly. Any suggestions for this problem would be gtreatly appreciated.

Scro
02-10-2005, 05:23 PM
invest in some beadlocks, or run more air pressure

brokenbones
02-10-2005, 07:21 PM
i agree beadlocks are the way to go i use to tear mohawks off all the time i ended up cleaning them perfectly when i got home and let them dry heated them used silicone on the beads and set the tires i also ran about 9 to 11 psi up front then i didnt have any more problems
thats what i was told to do when i was at the coast thats what the locals were doing
i did end up buying beads after 2 years through
just my 2 cents

JOEX
02-10-2005, 08:23 PM
What size tires and rims are you running?

mattonln
02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
What size tires and rims are you running?

yeah, sounds like you've got too wide of tires for your wheels.... also try bumping your air up to 7 or 8 pounds...

norcalatver
02-11-2005, 07:00 AM
"Quote" "What size tires and rims are you running?"
The tires are 22X11X8 the rims are 9" wide. The tires are Skat Trak Gliders. I also have a set of Skat Trak edge and Skat trak Ultra light Haulers and don't have a problem with either of them. Its just the one tire. I've even tried a different rim' same result. Thanks for the responses. Any one tried a tube before?

dariusld
02-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Maybe it was just me , but when I ran a tube I would rip the valve stem right off.

JDiablo
02-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by norcalatver
"Quote" "What size tires and rims are you running?"
The tires are 22X11X8 the rims are 9" wide. The tires are Skat Trak Gliders. I also have a set of Skat Trak edge and Skat trak Ultra light Haulers and don't have a problem with either of them. Its just the one tire. I've even tried a different rim' same result. Thanks for the responses. Any one tried a tube before?

theres your problem the tire is only 8 inch wide,and your rim is 9

knelson
02-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I run the same tire and have had problems b/f with keeping the bead on it seems to stay better if I run alot of air.I have ran tubes
and they will work but if your tire pressures are to low you will rip them off unless you get the shorty valve stems then it will just pull it inside your rim like mine did

dariusld
02-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
theres your problem the tire is only 8 inch wide,and your rim is 9 22X11X8 The overall height of the tire is 22, the width is 11 and it goes on an 8 inch diameter rim:rolleyes: So the tire is not 8 inches wide its 11.

JDiablo
02-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
22X11X8 The overall height of the tire is 22, the width is 11 and it goes on an 8 inch rim:rolleyes: So the tire is not 8 inches wide its 11.

dont be a smartass with me,you knew what i meant the rim size :rolleyes: its common sense anyway wrong size tire isnt going to fit on a rim with a diffrent size

dariusld
02-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
dont be a smartass with me,you knew what i meant the rim size :rolleyes: its common sense anyway wrong size tire isnt going to fit on a rim with a diffrent size But your still saying the wrong thing. Maybe your just writing it out wrong. We are trying to help here, not tell him the WRONG stuff:rolleyes: The rim size is not his problem!

JDiablo
02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
my bad i did say the wrong thing,but i think it takes just some common sense to realize that you have to order the right size tire for the rim:huh

dariusld
02-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Instead of telling "300exrida" to be quiet, I will try to help. norcalatver are you mounting the tire yourself? How does the bead on the tire look? Is it damaged in anyway. Like is there big chunks missing out of the bead? How about the rim? Is bent around the bead lock? When you set the bead is 100% seated? Is the tire and rim free of dirt around the bead? I usually use dish soap and water to help the bead seat easier and about 35 lbs of pressure. And then booooom it seats. And then I go back and run with about 4-5lbs of pressure.

JDiablo
02-11-2005, 01:58 PM
ye w/e bro im not going to argue,ill "help" to....;)

try Wd-40 as well as a lubricant to get the tire on the bead

norcalatver
02-11-2005, 04:36 PM
The problem i'm having isn't getting the bead to set. Once the bead is set I can push on the side of the tire where the bead meets the rim and air will leak out. I've ridden on the tire when completely flat 4-5 times to get it back to camp. i think the bead is probably ruined now even though it doen't look like it. I think I'll try running a tube and keep the air pressure up. I just don't want to spend another $80.00 on a new tire when this tire is perfectly good except for the air problem. Thanks for all the replys. :)

wilkin250r
02-14-2005, 03:27 PM
How many times have you mounted tire? You might have stretched or worn the bead with repeated mounting and removal?

norcalatver
02-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
How many times have you mounted tire? You might have stretched or worn the bead with repeated mounting and removal?
I've only mounted the tire twice, but I've broken the bead and cleaned it and used bead sealant on it at least five times. I have driven on it when it was totally flat at high speeds 4-5 times. , I really wasn't thinking about ruining the tire anymore after the 3rd time it went flat on me while riding in the dunes. Thanks again for your input. It is appreciated.