PDA

View Full Version : Head Pipe, should I get a new one?

PsychoDave
05-02-2002, 06:45 AM
I recently put a 416 (10.8:1) and xr cam in my quad. I have a WB "R" series pipe. But, I have a STOCK head pipe. Does anyone recommend getting an aftermarket head pipe. Will it make a big difference. In the future I might get an FCR carb, but i dont want to get a new head pipe if it wont do much. Any suggestions?

Texan32
05-02-2002, 07:05 AM
Dont' waste your money. Take your header off and grind the welds. I don't know that the powerbomb header is really any bigger diameter than you stock one. Just grind the welds and save you $$$.

knighttime
05-02-2002, 07:43 AM
I say get the headpipe. You will gain big-time torque :D

PsychoDave
05-02-2002, 10:31 AM
I DID THAT WELD GRIND A WHILE AGO.....BUT I LOVE TORQUE...IF IT WILL GIVE MORE I WILL DEFINATLY GET A NEW HEAD PIPE!!

knighttime
05-02-2002, 11:07 AM
u r truly on to somethin'

frogburner
05-02-2002, 11:29 AM
I have not taken off the headpipe on mine, but i have heard it helps... I will probably grind the welds soon.... Whats the best brand of high temp. paint i can use to paint my header pipe with.... I think it would look better with a nice touch of paint on the header pipe...

kaneman23
05-02-2002, 11:42 AM
The stock head pipe is best if you want Torque. The only other headpipe I would consider is the Powerbomb. However, it is about the same size as the stock head pipe. Save your money for other mods and keep the stock head pipe.

knighttime
05-02-2002, 11:48 AM
I took my stock headpipe off and replaced it with the FMF powerbong header pipe.

My quad gained torque thoughout all the gears.

The powerbong header, as well as ALL other aftermarket headpipes are better than the STOCK pipe.

:blah

honda400zx
05-02-2002, 11:52 AM
i got a t-4 full system and the powerbog header looks like it has the same diameter head pipe as stock mine is obously larger it gave me an increase over the stock i felt:D

knighttime
05-02-2002, 12:03 PM
The head pipe diameter means essentially nothing when considering an aftermarket headpipe. :eek:

The manufactures could and do use stainless or titantium in any diameter pipe size that they want.

The trick in manufacturing is to design the pipe in a way that the bends are strategically placed to expel the spent fuel mixture in a manner to produce the desired power. The bends should be as smooth as possible and must coincide perfectly with the diameter of the pipe.

mopar 400
05-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Or if you want to keep the stocker and have it look good, get it ceramic coated. They look great after ceramic coating them, and you dont loose the heat sheild. I just got three headpipes ceramic coated, a powerbomb, Duncan Racing, and the Stocker. They all look awesome.

kaneman23
05-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Unless you have some head or motor work there isn't much difference. You will gain some top end but you will also loose some low end torque due due to the larger size. Just ask TC racing if you don't believe me. This is the reason so many people have kept the stock head pipe. They want lowend torque. IMO the powerbomb is the best aftermarket header for the 400ex but unless you have a 416 kit or something your aren't going to benefit much. BTW, I have ridden a 400 with the DMC full system on a stock motor. The quad didn't have the low end punch that I was used to on mine. But once you were in 4th or 5th gear, it felt like it would pull away harder. Hope this helps...

knighttime
05-02-2002, 01:59 PM
Hey yo kane, i know u mean well, but I put on a powerbong header way before i did the 416 kit. There was a BIG TIME difference.

I'm not flamin, but u are not right on this dude.

Its ok though, but I cant let bad info be passed on.

TRX_Thumper
05-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Yeah knightitme you are right. I know none of you guys will beleive me on this....but my old $100 cobra header an silencer makes more torque and power than my $275 white bros silencer.....the cobra is junk tho...dented and holes....but a header makes the difference

knighttime
05-02-2002, 02:38 PM
but if people wanna think a stock head pipe is better that all else, well thats fine with me.

:eek:

PsychoDave
05-02-2002, 06:21 PM
bump.

05-02-2002, 06:48 PM
ya i was going to get a powerbomb header....which would be a better silencer a wb e-series fmf q-series or the big guns......and how much louder would the big guns be? is it worth the extra sound?

kaneman23
05-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Is it called a Powerbomb or powerbong? That's besides the point because if you reread my post I never said the stockheader was better. I said if the motor and head were stock and you just bolted on a powerbomb the gain wouldn't be drastic. I have never rode a 400 with a powerbomb but I have rode one with a Big Gun and a DMC full system and I was not impressed with the lowend torque. There was a lack of back pressure because the header expelled the exhaust gases too fast for a stock motor. Yes, backpressure(slight restriction) is a good thing. Especially if the motor is not tuned for the application. For example, my truck. I purchased headers, hiflow cat and exhaust. After I did these mods I had much better throttle response but I felt I lacked the lowend torque I had when it was stock. It was because my exhaust was flowing more efficiently then what my motor needed. But once, I installed my supercharger the exhaust mods payed off big time. I am not calling you wrong because I think we are both getting at the same point in a way. I believe your powerbong is more efficient then the stock header and is capable of producing more power then stock. But unless you have done some motor work you are not going to reap the full performance of the headpipe. So, until I do a 416, 425, or whatever the stock header is better for my setup. TC Racing even says the stock head pipe is very efficient and they run it on their built motors. I believe ChadeXer is going to run the stock head pipe(after he gets it jet coated) on his 505 once its completed. Take it easy bro,
Justin

frogburner
05-02-2002, 07:59 PM
KANEMAN23 is very correct, if you expel exhaust gases to quickly, you WILL loose low end power... BUT if you can compensate for the gases being expeled very quickly, it will play a role in power.. I have even been told by FTZ Performance here in Cape Girardeau, MO That the 400EX's Headpipes are very efficent, and do not need to be removed unless you have a built motor... Save your money man, Headpipes wont give you a gain in power like the AD says it will..

knighttime
05-02-2002, 08:21 PM
I dont know how u can comment on somethin' u never tried. The FMF header pipe has a different bend to it than stock and also has the big bulge in it. It makes a big difference over the stock headpipe. U guys havent proven jack, and I'm gettin sick of arguing with people that are just pulling facts out of there **edited**!!

Go on with your silly reindeer games. And I highly highly recommend the both of u keep your stock headpipe. :huh

frogburner
05-02-2002, 08:53 PM
WHATEVER:rolleyes:

Your Just one of those one who always thinks whats he says is right.... Its a WASTE OF MONEY to go buy a HEADER PIPE.... But Everybody, KNIGHTTIME says he is right, so lets all go waste our money on a Headpipe for NO REASON..... Your about as Bright as a Burnt out lightbulb..... Ya,, You KNIGHTTIME....

tinytim
05-03-2002, 04:28 AM
I'd be willing to trade anyone my WB ProMeg full system for a new WB S-bend. The WB full system has an increased header size. I want my low end torque back!
It isn't a terrible pipe, but you will have to cover shipping, too.

T.

knighttime
05-03-2002, 06:31 AM
I definetly recommend that u stick with the stock headpipe. It's a perfect match for u. :eek:

MOFO
05-03-2002, 06:50 AM
Wow....I cant believe this bull*****! A fellow member puts in his two cents about a question that was asked and you kids jump all over him. As a matter of fact, he is correct about the Powerbong (Powerbomb) header pipe. If you bothered to read one of his posts on this topic, he explains the theory behind making a good exhaust system. This principle is the same with just about all internal combustion engines. I have also rode his quad right after he did the head pipe....it did IN FACT make a difference. I dare you guys to e-mail FMF and challenge their R&D department...LOL!

I think you guys should lay off the attacks and stay on the topic at hand.... I swear sometimes this is like JR Highschool on here!

Eric

Maryland 400EX
05-03-2002, 06:54 AM
This is a good thread... It's totally mind boggling to me that grinding the welds off the inside of the headpipe could yield NOTICABLE power on a normally aspirated engine. I could see if this was a turbocharged motor where exhaust flow is everything. My question is how thick are the welds in mm's inside the header? From the way you guys explain it seems like the welds are pretty thick... I may try my hand at smoothing the welds this weekend...

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Obviously you don't read very well so I will not waste anymore time directing posts towards you. You choose to insult people rather then to explain why the powerbomb is any better on a stock motor. I took the time to post the theory of why the stock head pipe was efficient enough on a stock EX motor. Perhaps your uneducated or you are just a jack*****. Either way I don't care of your opinion and will not waste my time arguing with a child.

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 09:54 AM
First off no one attacked him. If anyone did the attacking it was him. If you read my post you will see that I never said my stock headpipe was better then his powerbomb. Please read my post again before you take sides.

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks frog. I am glad to see there are a few educated members on the board.:p Later,
Justin

MOFO
05-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Kaneman, did I point you out specifically? The answer is NO. I was making a general statement about this thread. Please read my post more clearly....

anyways, this topic is dead.

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Your right man. You aren't going to make huge gains by grinding the welds off or adding an aftermarket headpipe for the matter unless you go with a big bore kit or high comp. piston. Some of these kids think they can bolt an exhaust system on their quads and gain 20hp or something. These must be the same guys that bolt on the fart cannon exhausts on their cars and think their stickers give them 75hp..lol.. Seriously, some of these guys should learn something about combustion motors before they post B.S on the board.

MOFO
05-03-2002, 10:08 AM
...this thread is out of hand...some people just can let it drop. Very mature guys.

YLW400
05-03-2002, 10:25 AM
I must be really dumb or something here? What welds are you talking about grinding off? I haven't heard anything about this. What do you do? And most of all what does it do for the 400?

knighttime
05-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Right around there u may c some extra weld material that you can grind off. Depending on the amount of extra weld u remove, the path for the airflow can be made less restrictive thereflow increasing flow and theoretically increasing horsepower.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:cool:

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Yes you made a general statement and I responded, its a MESSAGE BOARD. You must have been referring to me because I was one of the 2 that was disagreeing with Knight and that is why I responded to your post.

PsychoDave
05-03-2002, 12:01 PM
welp....this thread got me NO where.....i have a 416 kit...which means i am modded....i just want to know if it will make much of a difference before i spend my money.

knighttime
05-03-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by PsychoDave
welp....this thread got me NO where.....i have a 416 kit...which means i am modded....i just want to know if it will make much of a difference before i spend my money.

I believe it will. I though, added my FMF powerbong header pipe before I did the 416 and xr cam. I noticed a big increase in torque and throttle response.

I recommend that u try the powerbong header. I've never heard any complaints from people who own them.

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Since you already have a modded motor you should get the Powerbomb. I was arguing that a powerbomb wouldn't be good for lowend torque to a stock machine. There are other mods that would be more beneficial then a head pipe on a stock motor. Knightime can't read and chose to insult me rather then prove his powerbomb made more lowend torque on a stock motor.

knighttime
05-03-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by kaneman23
Knightime can't read and chose to insult me rather then prove his powerbomb made more lowend torque on a stock motor.

Ah this is ridiculous. What other proof could i possibly give u, I experienced the power gains first hand. Also there were no personal attacks from me towards u. I think thats obvious if u read above.

MOFO
05-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Yes you made a general statement and I responded, its a MESSAGE BOARD. You must have been referring to me because I was one of the 2 that was disagreeing with Knight and that is why I responded to your post.

...disagreeing? I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion....wrong or right. What I have a problem with is the JR High mentality that is being demonstated quite well in this thread.

PsychoDave
05-03-2002, 01:28 PM
kaneman23, VWVR6....thanks guys.....i appreciate the info...i will prob get the power bomb/gong......i am curious if you think it will fit and is compatable with the WB "R" series pipe...

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 02:50 PM
It should bolt right up the the WB pipe. Let us know how it goes. Later,
Justin

kaneman23
05-03-2002, 02:54 PM
...disagreeing? I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion....wrong or right. What I have a problem with is the JR High mentality that is being demonstated quite well in this thread.

I hope you are smart enough to see that the mentality is coming from your friend

knighttime
05-03-2002, 03:02 PM
:huh

bama400ex
05-03-2002, 03:16 PM
it seems kaneman just cant let it go can he.

05-03-2002, 06:11 PM
I don't want to argue with anyone but here's my 2 cents on the head pipe weld. We built up a 94 300 ex with a Wiseco high compression piston, WB cam , mild head port, valve job, new rockers, .020 over. It had a Supertrapp EAR exhaust. After it was broken in it ran Ok but a brand new 300 ex could beat it in a drag race. Something was not right. Over the winter we tore the machine down and did a repaint and replaced a lot of worn parts. I noticed the weld in the head pipe and realized it was a restriction to the air flow. I used a die grinder and removed all of it. I also checked out the intake manifold,boot or whatever that the carb mounts to tapers as it goes toward the head. I ground that out so it was the same diameter all of the way thru. All gaskets were carefully matched because the exhaust ring was also restricting the flow. When the machine was reassembled it had a whole new manner about it. It is wayy faster than last year and it runs like it should with a modded engine. Even with the 14 tooth it lifts the front end with ease over obstacles in the woods. The mods we did last year were of little effect because there was not enough flow through the head. The grinding took very little time, no money and brought to life our 300 engine. Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to show that you can bolt on all kinds of stuff and spend all kinds of money and it is the details like flow restrictions and jetting that really make your engine respond after you do some mods.

PsychoDave
05-04-2002, 09:14 PM
one of my friends has an aftermarket FMF head pipe and was told that the regular aftermarket was better than the Powerbomb. I am just curious if a bigger head pipe will increase the power of my 416(xr cam, 10.8:1 comp). i think it will, but i would still like some more opinions on gains or the type of head pipe to get. thanks

kaneman23
05-04-2002, 10:17 PM
IMO the powerbomb is the best aftermarket headpipe to buy. Otherwise I would just keep the stock headpipe... Just my 2cents...

PsychoDave
05-05-2002, 10:25 AM
i was told that the powerbomb makes less torque.

TRX_Thumper
05-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Gosh dave this has done been discussed once in this thread. Kaneman has no clue because he has never rode a 400ex with a powerbomb and here knightime is telling you good information and you pay no attention to it. Go back and read.

RideRed04
05-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Obviously you don't read very well so I will not waste anymore time directing posts towards you. You choose to insult people rather then to explain why the powerbomb is any better on a stock motor. I took the time to post the theory of why the stock head pipe was efficient enough on a stock EX motor. Perhaps your uneducated or you are just a jack*****. Either way I don't care of your opinion and will not waste my time arguing with a child.

Actually he explained several times that the bends have a lot to do with it. If your bend dents the pipe...boom, restriction. If it is mandrel bent with care, then the pipe flows better, even if it is the same diameter.

kaneman23
05-06-2002, 04:46 AM
I don't have a clue? You need to go back and read my posts. I said the powerbomb was the best header to buy. If you read the posts carefully, you will notice that I said the Powerbomb isn't going to make a huge difference on a stock quad and that he would be better off saving for other mods.

frogburner
05-06-2002, 07:08 AM
Hey, Kane,,

You might as well quit wasting your time writing to them about the headers... They wont listen. I guarantee i wont go spend a fortune on a header pipe though when i know the stock header pipe is just fine... I have been told before that it is not needed to change out the headpipes because they are very effiecient and dont need to be changed...

knighttime
05-06-2002, 07:19 AM

kaneman23
05-06-2002, 07:19 AM
I guess you and I are the only ones w/common sense. thanks,

I am done arguing with the knuckle heads on this board.

knighttime
05-06-2002, 07:24 AM

kaneman23
05-06-2002, 07:25 AM
The stock headpipe don't have any dents on the bend. Not on mine anyhow. I agree with you about the mandrel bending on the powerbomb. That's what makes it a very nice header. But I don't think it should be one of your first mods. Personally, I am going to wait until I bore and do some headwork.

05-06-2002, 08:29 AM
I put my powerbong on with NO motor work,,just powercore IV muffler and K&N power kit. After getting the jetting correct it had more power from top to bottom,,I think it was worth the money. I later did motor work so I can't say how the powerbong works with stock motors over built motors,,I think the powerbong adds more mid to top end power,,but does NOT loose any bottom wheather it's on a stock or built motor,,you don't loose anything with a powerbong header you only gain.

:blah :blah :blah :blah I love JR high..:D

PS....I also have my flywheel lightened which will also make a difference on power delivery,,so I don't know if my post really holds ground....bottom line the powerbong does deliver more power than stock header,,at least the Rico thinks so.:huh ...Ha haa

PsychoDave
05-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Hey Guys....i did listen and i thank all of you for your input.....I WILL get a powerbomb and post my personal results.......thanks again for the info.

kaneman23
05-06-2002, 11:58 AM
thanks for clearing things up bro.

knighttime
05-06-2002, 01:25 PM

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 11:51 AM
Dang Knighttime,,,this looks like the very same thread you and me argued for 6 pages about the stock vs powerbomb header:D

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Aint nutn like the stock header ceramic coated!!!!:D

knighttime
05-10-2002, 11:56 AM
this is an old thread. give it a rest dude. take some prozac.

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
this is an old thread. give it a rest dude. take some prozac.
I know I know, I seen it and just had to mess with ya:D
But really, do you know where I can get some Prozac or Zanox or somethin??? Havin a bad time in my life.

knighttime
05-10-2002, 05:07 PM
You could get it from your doctor, or search to get it online. I think u need somethin so u can get yourself to calm down.

ChadEXer
05-11-2002, 11:31 AM
One thing after another man!!!! I went to a baseball game yesterday in my brand new truck and guess what,,,yeap,,a busted windshield!! my luck has been a little off!!!!

knighttime
05-11-2002, 03:44 PM
settle down dude