PDA

View Full Version : Hey fellas need some help with chrome

trx310
02-10-2005, 11:11 AM
I am going to be chroming a lot of stuff pretty quick. I have never personally had anything chromed and i dunno even how to estimate the prices.

Give me some basic estimates for a couple things like:

swingarm
a-arms
frame
250r cases
axle

Anything would help, thanks guys!!

Also, would you recommend any particular chromers?

zedicus00
02-10-2005, 11:57 AM
show chrome gets expensive in a hurry. i had a full exhaust dun for 150$ you should just hav the cases polished and cleared, and the same with the swinger if its the 88 89 style.

trx310
02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Well the swinger is the 4-tube by jd performance. The bike is being built especially for big dune jumping and the jd performance seemed to fit the description, anybody have any comments on that? I love to jump Glamis dunes and have been in the 100-120 foot range a few times. I know i know, it is a show bike, but my motocrosser just isn't comfortable enough to jump that far in the sand. Gimme some feedback fellas

zedicus00
02-10-2005, 02:30 PM
dang jd performance looks like sum awsome stuff... thers not a whole lot to jump around here my long travel suspension im setting up is gunna go to waste. i too am building a show quad i plan to ride sum with lotsa chrome an stuff but i am gunna make it go really fast not really jump it. u should check out doing colored chrome or even good quality smoke chrome is down right awsome looking.

JTRtrx250r
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Go to ********.com (kick *** site BTW) and ask Popo, he can probably help you:cool:********.com (http://********.com) or http://www.********forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

trx310
02-11-2005, 09:40 AM
thanks guys, i'll give popo a holler

papatrx
02-11-2005, 11:06 AM
All of our bikes except the bone stock 86 are chromed, polished and powder coated everything. We have a chrome shop nearby and they offer 2 kinds, a straight plate and a show plate.

The show plate involved them polishing the metal before plating and therefore almost doubles the price. For Things like footpegs, shifters, brake levers I just go with the straight plate.

The aluminum polishing requires maintenance to keep looking nice so be ware and when out riding don't wipe anything aluminum thats polished as it will scratch it and require more polishing on your part to bring it back to a shine.

Shawn H
02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
P.m POPO He is Distinctive Chrome on here he can give you prices.

he has done all my chrome and does very nice work

Shawn H
02-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Another

trx310
02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
What if I Polished it myself ( I have the right equipment), and then had them do the basic chrome operation. Would that be the equivalent of show shine? I am not going to pay double for the show shine when I can do the work myself and even enjoy doing it. Also, Is there any way to chrome a cylinder easily? I don't want to have to take the sleev out and everything. I may just have to polish it, but show chrome would look SAWEET!

Shawn H
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Popo prefers to do all the prep himself the end result is mostly from the prepping.

I don't think anyone will let you prep it and they chrome it but I dont know!

Eddiesanders250
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
is chrome a dipping procedure?

beerock
02-12-2005, 10:53 AM
chrome is a three part procedure.

first the metal is buffed to a smooth finish, then coated with copper, then coated with nickel, the coated in chromium.

its a 3 part process and every process requires buffing in between except after the chrome dipping.

I went to a chrome plating shop and the owner took me around the entire shop and it was really dirty but the work they turned out was excellent. the process involved in chroming is a dangerous and dirty business. It was really cool to see the work involved in chroming.

all those parts you want chromed is gonna be at least 800 bux.