PDA

View Full Version : Jetting a carb

400exdave
02-10-2005, 03:52 AM
im going to buy a K and N Jet kit, and this may be a stupid question, but how exactly to you install this kit. I really don't want to take out my carb and take it apart and somehow ruin anything, like re-adjust my floats or what not on accident. Is it very hard? Any help would be appretiated, thanks!

dave

underpowered
02-10-2005, 04:49 AM
you do have to take your carb off and apart. it would be hard to accidently adjust anything , i would only worry about losing alll the smalll parts in the carb. it is an easy project, just dont lose anything.

400exnac
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM
How do you know what the best jet to run is? Dont they give you a few different sizes when you guy a jet kit?

400exrider707
02-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Trial and error. Also do you have any other mods on your quad right now? If not then dont even bother with the jet kit right now. Get a pipe and filter first then jet. Whatever you decide to do. You could get just a pipe and jets, or just a filter and jets, but just jets really wont do anything because you've done nothing to increase the air flow into and out of the engine, therefore more gas is useless. Unless you have mods, then just ignore what i said.:D

400exnac
02-10-2005, 10:18 AM
I have a K&N and a full White Brothers exhaust. I run an open air box. Your saying just trial and error until one feels the best?

Big Slick
02-10-2005, 10:34 AM
There is no need to take the carb off to re-jet.

There's a 17mm cap on the bottom of the carb. Take it out, and there is easy access to the main jet. You don't even have to loosen the clamps on the carb or tilt the carb to get to the jet.

Use a 6mm socket to get the jet out.

I'm not familiar with the k&n jet kit, but if they are keihin jets then I'd say start out with a 155 or 160.

cals400ex
02-10-2005, 11:53 AM
here are directions for the installation:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=19832

i usually like to use a mainjet 1 or 2 sizes smaller than what they say to use in the kit. it seems as if their recommendations are a bit fat for my liking. good luck