PDA

View Full Version : any one know why this is?

YFZ450Ridr
02-09-2005, 09:21 PM
why is it on quads with clutches, nuetral is inbetween 1st and 2nd gear, but on auto clutch quads, first gear is all the way down, below 1st gear? any body have a clue why this is like that.

400exrules
02-09-2005, 09:32 PM
cuz if your racin a quad with a clutch and u go into a turn real fast, u shift all the way down, and u wouldnt quite want to shift into nuetral on accident ;)

02-09-2005, 09:46 PM
umm have you ever shifted into neutral? sometimes when i drag race i hit neutral...

nosliw
02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exracer#19
umm have you ever shifted into neutral? sometimes when i drag race i hit neutral...

i actually did that today. i was racing a modded twin peaks 4X4 and missed the 3-4shift, bounced off the revlimiter and couldnt catch back up........:ermm:

tiger250ex
02-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 250EXridr
why is it on quads with clutches, nuetral is inbetween 1st and 2nd gear, but on auto clutch quads, first gear is all the way down, below 1st gear? any body have a clue why this is like that.

WTF i dont get wat u mean. i never new on the auto clucth that the gears were diffrent but ive ridden a recon but i gues i never noticed lol do u mean neutral is all the way before first gear??

please explain to me wat u mean...

02-10-2005, 01:46 PM
the gears go like this on a manual clutch

1st
Neutral
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

and an auto clutch is

neutral
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

YFZ450Ridr
02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
cuz if your racin a quad with a clutch and u go into a turn real fast, u shift all the way down, and u wouldnt quite want to shift into nuetral on accident ;)

that doesnt really make sense because not all quads are racing quads, take a warrior for instance. its not ment for racing but yet it has the nuetral in between first and second so i think your wrong.

tiger250ex
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
now I get it lmao thnx sEx:blah: :blah:

02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by tiger250ex
now I get it lmao thnx sEx:blah: :blah:

no problemo;)

02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Im guessing it has something to do with the design of the transmission with a clutch has to be like thatt for some reason.:confused:

I definitely like it that way, but it can get gay with a YFZ always going into neutral!(all yfz owners know what I mean)

Jonesy
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
that doesnt really make sense because not all quads are racing quads, take a warrior for instance. its not ment for racing but yet it has the nuetral in between first and second so i think your wrong.

An xr100 isn't made for racing either but, it also has the same configuration. I think it all dates back to the early street bikes, they were all the same way. I suppose that in downshifting for a turn or for acceleration you sure don't want to hit nuetral and have the guy behind you smack into you. This technology was then evolved into our quad engines, and has remained unchanged. Why fix it if it ain't broke? As for auto clutches, i believe that since they were designed to shift slower and the design of not allowing them to free wheel means that the atv/bike must be going slow in order for them down shift.

just my two pennies worth

Jonesy

asfaltsurfer1
02-11-2005, 01:06 AM

Sorry guys but I remember when (WAAAY back) the Warrior was one of the top 4stroke quads available. Believe it or not I can even remember a few Warriors taking over all in the local quad division!!!! WOW... how times have changed...LOL