PDA

View Full Version : C&D shock rebuild ride time

Power Stroker
02-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I finallay got to ride my 450r with my stock shock rebuild from C&D, my set up is +2 ARMS and a +4 Axel. I was riding on a MX track with alot of whoops 50 foot doubles and 80 foot tables and I was very impressed with the shocks through the whoops, the rear rarely bounced up unless i was really off rythum through the big whoops, but with the stadium whoops I went through them in third gear pinned and they worked great, very smooth. The shocks felt very good jumping the 50 foot doubles, and I was shorting the tables on purpose a few times and it never bottomed out once, and I thought my shocks were set to soft but I think I could even set them softer. So i haven't even got to tune my suspension yet but overall it was well worth the money instead of the big $$$ for aftermarket shocks.

Hope this helps people who are deciding between rebuilds and aftermarkets shocks!!!

chris450R
02-09-2005, 09:04 PM
hey powerstroker. that is great to hear that you are loving the shocks. i have also got the C&D rebuild but mine is the new setup with TCS springs. i love mine also. i am stock width and it rails turns 100% better than stock. it lands nice off jumps too. whoops it handles great but i am no expert at whoops and have had a few problems but when i get my rythme right and throttle right it just hammers through them no problem. the only problem i had with mine was with the rear shock. i had the preload set too loose and 2nd ride out i was at a practice track hit a rythme section and POP! there go the spring clips falling out. didn't damage anything and i called colby and he sent he some more clips for free since i lost the others when it happened. definitely a great way to go to get good shocks for not so much money!

c-ya, chris

generalg
02-09-2005, 10:27 PM
so is C&D making the stock shocks zero preload? What exactly are they doing to them? Just revavling?

Also how much money did it cost you to get all three shocks done?

Thanks

chris450R
02-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by generalg
so is C&D making the stock shocks zero preload? What exactly are they doing to them? Just revavling?

Also how much money did it cost you to get all three shocks done?

Thanks

yes the setup is a zero preload. the rear also still has ride height adjustment. i had mine setup for MX riding, B class rider, for my weight 210, and it is stock width right now but soon will get arms to go with it. the total cost for mine was $550. powerstrokers was $450 i think but that was with the old setup and mine is the new setup with the new price $550. and you can also get an extra 1" travel out of the rear shock for $65 more buck. the valve body inside is changed(i think is what colby told me) along with a new fluid that is awhole lot better than that stock crap. and of course triple rate springs in the front and dual rate in the rear. the springs they use now are TCS springs.

if you have anymore questions about this setup i know for a fact colby would love to answer them. plus they are great people to deal with.

c-ya, chris

Power Stroker
02-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by chris450R

if you have anymore questions about this setup i know for a fact colby would love to answer them. plus they are great people to deal with.

c-ya, chris

Chris is right just give Colby a call he will answer all your questions and more, because I am no SUSPESION GURU, so ask the professionals. All I can tell you is that their rebuild is night and day difference between stock, and in my opinion they are competetive with aftermarket shocks for the $$$$.

02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
2 weeks

cb450r
02-09-2006, 10:40 PM
I too am a happy C&D shock owner:p I ride/race XC so my criteria is a little different then Power stroker's but the results are the same very happy.

Here are a couple of pics..

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/cb450r/tripfrnt1.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/cb450r/rearshock1.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/cb450r/sidewze.jpg

02-10-2006, 05:37 AM
is that the stock link cb?

cb450r
02-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Yes it is the stock link, I honestly have not run the GT link so i cannot give a comparison:ermm: this set-up works just fine for me right now.

02-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by cb450r
Yes it is the stock link, I honestly have not run the GT link so i cannot give a comparison:ermm: this set-up works just fine for me right now. yah i was gonna gonna go with c&d but I really wanted a new link

02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
The c&d setup looks really nice.
but, for about the same price, gtt gives you a new link to boot.
has anyone ridden both, to tell us if the link is needed with c&d?

will gtt link further enhance the c&d setup?

02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by force
The c&d setup looks really nice.
but, for about the same price, gtt gives you a new link to boot.
has anyone ridden both, to tell us if the link is needed with c&d?

will gtt link further enhance the c&d setup? yes, i wouldnt mind knowing this either. i doubt anyones done it though

Pappy
02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
colby can get the gt link and set the shock up accordingly.

we have run all 3 named companies shocks that frequent these boards and ALL preform great!

Pappy
02-10-2006, 11:33 AM

02-13-2006, 09:50 AM
pappy, is that the c&d setup?
did you re-powder coat those springs?
or do they come that color?
they look sweet. also, do you know what brand of srpings c&d use?

cb450r
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
The picture i posted above is how they come. However Pappy can make them any color you want:o Once i get mine back from Pappy i will retake pictures and you guys will flip:macho
Colby uses the TCS spring and revale set-up, However the rear main spring as from Eibach.

02-13-2006, 10:15 AM
thanks for the info
i think i'm going to give this set-up a try.

what type of shock covers are recommended for XC?
sorry to change the subject.

i've heard nylon because they breathe better......
and neoprene because they protect better.

what do you think, guys?

02-13-2006, 10:18 AM
c&d racing was a lot more money then GT Thunder's and you dont even get a rear link...screw that

02-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by force
thanks for the info
i think i'm going to give this set-up a try.

what type of shock covers are recommended for XC?
sorry to change the subject.

i've heard nylon because they breathe better......
and neoprene because they protect better.

what do you think, guys?

i use elka shock covers, they are 50 times better then my worthless outerwear shock covers that ripped in 5 rides

shamisc
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
I run neoprene covers. The Elka covers rubbed all the paint off my springs in 2 rides!:mad: