PDA

View Full Version : grip warmers wiring ?

S2P
02-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Anybody know how to correctly wire grip warmers? I think you run them in series. I bought a set but they came with no diagram,to follow. I have 2 wires on each grip heater the switch wire has the resistor a bare end and 2 connectors.

-------resistor-------------------------------
- -
- hi
- - +
- switch ---- fuse --- 12volts
- -
- low
- -
----------------------------------------------- -
-
-
-
grip---------------------------grip ---------
-
-
- (neg)
grnd.
I think this is how it should be wired .:(

cds
02-12-2005, 07:48 PM
LOL, I'm going to try to explain this without confusing people...

(I didn't understand your ASCII diagram)

The grip warmers should be wired in parallel (at least mine are).

1. Take one wire from each grip warmer and ground them.

2. Put a fuse in the +12v line (before the switch).

3. Connect the fused 12v line to the center terminal on the switch.

4. Connect one side of the resistor to the LOW terminal on the switch.
Note: Toggle switches usually "connect the terminal" on the opposite side of the switch when thrown. For example, if the switch is thrown FORWARD to the LOW position, the electricity is being sent to the REAR terminal.

5. Connect the other wire from each grip heater to the HI terminal AND the other side of the resistor.

Note: if your resistor already came with wires (kind of a Y shaped connection) and terminals already on it, you shouldn't have to re-do the connections. This is supposed to take care of step 5.

HTH,

S2P
02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
The diagram did not come out correct from when I drew it, to how it was posted. I do believe you are correct though. I wired them in series and tried to use them today and they never got warm. I thought maybe it was a bad ground. I talked it over with another friend and we decided that they needed to be run parallel not in series . I am going to redo them and see what happens. When I get them correct I'll post it . Thanks for your help .

S2P
02-18-2005, 02:51 PM
They work fine now, ran them parallel and they heat up just fine. I'm going to like this on those bitter cold days.;)

Scro
02-28-2005, 08:01 PM
what are grip warmers?? lol i mean its kinda self explanatory, but how do they work?

S2P
03-01-2005, 05:37 PM
There are two different styles one is a complete grip that you change and all the wiring is inside the grip. The other style is on tape, and you wrap it around your bars and install a grip over them. They look kinda like a rear window defogger. I installed the wrap kind, because I wear out grips (I like them soft). Some of the new ones have a rheostat to control the temp. Most just have a switch for high and low. They heat up from the resistance in the circuit. Hope this helps. You can get them from most any dealer or aftermarket place.