PDA

View Full Version : Are CDI boxes worth it????

redred55
02-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Are they worth buying? If so, wich one do you recommend? What did you notice for improvement? Thanks

02-09-2006, 05:33 PM
yea

02-09-2006, 05:34 PM
i think raptor 700s r the best nd will beat your 450r with a cdi box lol jk

cals400ex
02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
if you are just looking for a higher rev limit, then yes. if you have the stock cam then do not get one.

john.E.business
02-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Why would you not recommend one if you have a stock cam? if you where going in order of performance or importance you would go with a cam first?

4ABURN
02-10-2006, 07:44 AM
With the stock cam you are over the power peak with the stock rev limiter so increasing the rev limiter will ony make it rev higher not make more power.So all you are doing is putting the motor threw abuse it doesn't need.;) With a cam your power curve increases and then a new cdi would be a good idea.:D

Just my 2 cents.:cool:

Matt400ex_17
02-10-2006, 10:06 AM
What if you have a HRC cam is a rev box any use for that??

john.E.business
02-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Really? well thats good to know cause when it comes to upgrades i dont want to sacrifice my engine life... my friend has a Ds650 with a rev box on it without a cam u figure this is prolly more negative then positive? whats a good cam?

desratt
02-10-2006, 05:03 PM
yes , web cam,

PurePerformance
02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Procom made boxes are not worth it. They make them for Alba, White Bros .. blah blah. All they do is make the rev limiter higher, there is no point of doing that because you will never use that high of an rpm and power dies out all the way up there.

If your looking for a CDI for tuning and for modifying the curves I would go with a dyna;)

cals400ex
02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
yes, if you get on i would get the dyna box. i hear the vortex is ok too. most of the other ones will actually make you lose up to a horsepower or so. you may not feel it but it is due to their different timing curves. a rev box is not there to necessarily give you more power. i have seen dyno's of the dyna and it does make a little more than stock in some applications. the ones i saw were a hair short of a 1 horsepower gain. the stock rev limit is just fine with the stock cam. there is no need to get an aftermarket ignition box which mainly is there to raise your rev limit if you do not need a higher rev limit. yes, with the hrc cam i needed an ignition box for drag racing. otherwise i would hit the rev limiter. i think when you get to the point where you are hitting the stock rev limiter with your particular riding style, that is when its time to upgrade. ;)

desratt
02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I have the dyna and the vortex.
the vortex is now for my wifes quad,nuff said

wanna_be_ridn
02-10-2006, 10:47 PM
desratt knows his $@!# i would go with a dyna myself also.

john.E.business
02-10-2006, 11:55 PM
What is a dyna worth? im not looking for a programable rev box though im not that serious of rider and don't have enough knowledge on the subject to get a programable rev limiter but i do want to get a cam and want to get all i can out of it....

wanna_be_ridn
02-11-2006, 06:57 AM
you can just plug it and go, but you can take the time to program it, you do not have to program it to use it.

desratt
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
you can buy a programable or a non programable version

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/atv_fs.htm

john.E.business
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
And by programming it i can achieve what? like what exactly would it do?

desratt
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
if you do different mods . other then the basics.
I had a nmotion 520 kit 13:1 comp, with a mysto cam +2/+3 valves blah blah. and the programming was alot different.

you or a programer can custom change the timing curves, rev limits, switches for say a nitrous set up, rpm gauge, inputs for a tether kill switch, data logging, a launch limiter , change when the throttle position sensor reads different positions.ect.

not all models offer all of these but it gives you an idea.

90% of people will be just fine with the non-programable.

4LEAFCLOVER
02-11-2006, 03:03 PM
How much faster can I expect my 450 to go once I'm done installing this Dynatek Non Programmable CDI (MPH). I already have the Dyna CDI awaiting in my garage, but I'm awaiting for my Kibblewhite spring kit and my Kibblewhite Black Diamond Intake Valves to come in. I was told by the person I bought my Dyna from that I might want to replace my stock valve springs so that I wouldn't float a valve. So to be on the safe side I'm going to replace them. I just want to know how much faster will my 450 go MPH wise with this higher rev limit of 11,000 RPM's? My current mods are listed below.
2005 TRX 450R (Black Beast)
Rossier Shorty Exhaust
13:1 JE Piston
175 Main Jet
50 Pilot
HRC Cam/ Air Filter
Black Blingstar Bumper
XGX Racing (Jason) Graphics
*DynaTek (NP) Rev CDI Coming Next*

john.E.business
02-11-2006, 04:14 PM
i think for my situation i would just go with a non programmable just to give me some more space on the rev limiter when i put a cam on..