PDA

View Full Version : Hetrick racing 416/425 bore kit???

BassGin3
02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
I was looking into possibly getting one of these kits and was wondering how people liked it that have them. They seem to have a good reputation so far. Any other comments or recommendations would be good.

walker054
02-09-2005, 03:34 PM
I had a Hetrick 416 and a 440 in my 2001 400Ex. Lots of power and no engine problems, loved both of them. give them a call.

cals400ex
02-09-2005, 04:06 PM
i have no experience with hetrick but i have built 3 406's, a 416, and a 426. a cam and piston will drastically improve the performance of your bike. i like the 406 and 416 because a new sleeve isn't needed to be put in. the 406 would probably stay a bit cooler. i would recommend doing the work yourself if you have the capabilities and tools. for under $400 you can get a cam, piston, boring, and gaskets. we have had great success with all of these motors.

QuadJunkies
02-10-2005, 12:38 AM
I have the 426(my 426 is my back up, I have a 440 on mine right now) and its very good!!! Ive been very pleased with it ..!!

Zeke
02-10-2005, 08:57 AM
What is their number and how much is a 440 kit and the 425 kit?

BassGin3
02-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Anyone know what compression their Ross piston is for the 416 kit? I could probably do the kit myself, but they say that ya have to ship the motor out to them. Anyone have a clue what the cost to ship the motor to PA from Mass would set me back? I was wanting to get the full race port and polish too. Any recommendations or things to stay away from?

BassGin3
02-10-2005, 10:19 AM
another thing, anyone know where the 416 kit helps out more in the RPM range? I'm planning on getting the standard kit with the Ross piston, cam (not sure what kind i should get to go with the power delivery), and the port and polish job. I already have a full big gun race exhaust and k&n filter with a modded air box and jetted stocker carb. I'd like the overall power to hit pretty good down low and carry all the way up. I guess the main goal is to get the exhaust, piston, and cam to work together as good as possible.

QuadJunkies
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Zeke
What is their number and how much is a 440 kit and the 425 kit? I cant remeber how much there prices are on them, but heres there website
www.hetrickracing.com

cals400ex
02-10-2005, 10:30 AM
first off, the big gun is known as a torquey exhaust, not a high rpm lover. it is very important to get this bike setup for your riding style. the regular ross 416's are 10.8:1 compression ratios. you will be spending more money by going through hetrick than other places, especially if your sending the motor out. all you should have to do is take the topend apart yourself and send the cylinder in to a shop with the piston you want installed. this machining process should be well less than $100. i would go with C&D. i have had good luck with them and they charge $100 for removing an old sleeve, boring the cylinder, adding a larger sleeve, and boring the sleeve to match the new piston. this is much more work than you need done for a 416 so i can only imagine the price being around $50 or so for a 416. you can play with gasket thickness to gain or loose a little compression. the cam you pick will really matter on your riding style. the hotcams are a cheap way to go, but i have had great success with them. the stage 1 is pretty noisy and that is why i really don't care for it. the stage 2 mainly shines at HIGH rpms. you will need a rev box with this cam because it will rev much higher than the stock rev limiter. i realize you want more power everwhere, but are you a bit more concerned with low end power or high rpm power? the port and polish work will depend on your cam, pipe, piston setup. you could really send the head anywhere to get the work done but you would need to know what other mods your adding so things work together. i really recommend GT Thunder for this type of work.

blue416ex
02-10-2005, 08:51 PM
i have a 416 and compared to a 400ex with than a cam and 11.5 je piston mine kills it no prblems i love the all the time power

rr4406pak
02-11-2005, 07:29 AM
cals400ex,
What do you mean the Stage 1 cam is noisy?

BassGin3
02-11-2005, 08:25 AM
I'd wouldn't mind trying to set up the 416 to be more of a low end motor. I know that the 440 kits are torque monsters compared to the 416, but i don't want to spend the kind of money I think I'd need to get the 440 working right. I ride almost all woods trails, so setting it up for low end would be fine. Is the hot cams stage 1 worth it or should i spend more and get a different cam? Anyone have any good recommendations for good low end cams? Would porting and polishing the head even be worth it for setting it up more towards the low end?

cals400ex
02-12-2005, 01:16 AM
the stage 1 ticks, that is what i mean noisy. it sounds like your valves are way out of adjustment. it is pretty loud and it was annoying enough for my buddy to change cams. i would say the stage 1 or xr400 cam would suit you just fine for a good running motor. either of these will work great in a woods 416 bike. i probably wouldn't spend more cash on another cam unless you went with the TC gncc cam. i think that cam is like $200 if you send your stock cam in for a core. the porting and polishing probably won't do much. if your on a budget, i wouldn't get it. what i am saying i bet you won't notice too much unless you race heavily right next to other bikes that your constantly comparing speeds with your bike too. in your case, you could do an inexpensive clean up port job from gt thunder though.

BassGin3
02-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Any clue what the inexpensive clean up port job from gt thunder goes for?

cals400ex
02-12-2005, 11:00 AM
unfortunately i am not exactly sure. i would pm rico because he had this done on his bike. you may be able to find another shop that can do it for the same price as laz at gt thunder. however, his prices seem decent, he is a great guy, and his turn around time is usually great.

BassGin3
02-14-2005, 07:18 AM
thanks for the info cals400ex