PDA

View Full Version : cutting front plastic

Regulator 250X
05-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, im new here, id like to just say hi to everyone! but uhh hey i was wondering if any of you guys have any tips on how to cut my front fenders, im going to be racing mx this summer. Ive had my quad for over 2 years now and i just put the 250R conversion on this spring. So now im ready to race, i was wondering if you have any pictures of your cut plastic and how you went about it. any suggestions would help!! thanks alot fellow Red Riders!! Later!

exriderdude
05-03-2002, 08:55 AM
do a search;)

05-03-2002, 06:50 PM
First thing to do is find the line you want by looking/measuring doing bouth side's so they are even.......etc. You want to get a water based marker so you can draw the line's on your fender's....I say (water based marker's) because if you mess up drawing your line's, they can be redrawn with out having a big mess, you can just wipe it off and redraw them and so on.You can draw your line's freehand ,or you also can use some tape, by making the line's on your fender's with the tape first, you can follow the tape with your marker then peal it away. Once you have your line's drawn and you are happy with how they look.....It's time to cut :). I like to use a copeing saw, I find it work's the best. You can pick up a copeing saw at any local hardware store if you don't have one allready, but be careful though i find sometime's it can have a mind of it's own. When you begin to cut your fender's you may have to cut them in sections, depending on the shape of them. Try to leave the line because it will be very hard to cut them perfect anyway. you will have to sand the edge you just cut ,smooth and round them a bit too, this will make them look clean and finished..... (sand to the line)trying to make bouth side's even........finish it with a fine grit sand papper, sand untill bouth side's are perfect and your happy with how they look.

I hope this info helped you out a bit on shaving your fender's and good luck

-=Twerker=-

zzbudzz
05-03-2002, 07:22 PM
some one posted an idea about using a small torch to heat up the end (where you just cut the fender ) to help smooth out the rough edge, what do you think? i'll might try this when i cut mine soon.

RIZZO
05-03-2002, 10:33 PM
no i don't recomend heatin it up with a tourch, and if you get it to hot you may melt it, just use a little sand papper and elbow grease to get the job done, that's your best bet:)

-=Skot=-
05-03-2002, 10:38 PM
i agree with twerker and rizzo, the fenders that rizzo has shaved came out very nice and professional looking. nice work bro.:cool:

RIZZO
05-03-2002, 10:39 PM
something like this

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:12 PM
We did Crip_Coast's with a jig saw
We marked out the lines and cut out just outside the line so if we made any mistakes we had room to clear it up.
It turned out pretty good.
See for yourself.

-=Skot=-
05-03-2002, 11:14 PM
yeah crip's came out pretty nice.

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:27 PM
His whole bike turned out pretty good , tho we did cut the plastic before we got the frame done , and to motor polished.
Its a really awesome machine , he just needs to get a pipe and some new back tires , hes had about 2 flats in the last 2 weeks.

-=Skot=-
05-03-2002, 11:36 PM
yeah i need some new rubber too, got to save the cash first though:D

DEAL
05-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Yeah , i know what your sayin , you got a killer deal on that 400ex though.
I found a 400 , saw it in at pro, Full Dg skids , mint condition tires still have 95% on the tread left on em, for a pretty good price.
Callin the guy that owns it next week (he works at pro) and makin an offer on it.

RIZZO
05-03-2002, 11:55 PM
yeah i must say nice job Crip_Coast's fender's.....look's sweet
but i find the jigsaw blade want's to melt it and bind up......
also the little foot guide on it like's to mark up the plastic when it slide's on it.

what did you use for a blade ?
and did the saw make any extra unwanted mark's ?

DEAL
05-04-2002, 12:09 AM
We actually didn't really mark it out. I cut it with the jig saw (no problems i don't know why) then i took a sander and smoothed out all the roung un-even edges.

Sparkles
05-04-2002, 05:20 AM
heres another