PDA

View Full Version : O Ring between sleeve and case...

BLEEDRED
02-09-2005, 05:56 AM
When I torn down my 440 last week, after only a year of use, I found that the O ring between the cylinder sleeve and case was totally deteriorated and almost falling into the case. Needless to say it wasn't doing it's job anymore as it was broken down, dried out and hard. What do you think happened to it?

mojoe2878
02-09-2005, 01:39 PM
probably excessive heat.

PunkA$$
02-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I could be completely wrong here but, I'm pretty sure there's no reason for an o-ring there. What your probably seeing is a gasket sealer compound (like caulking) that was applied in the place of a gasket. Possibly to bring the whole cylinder and head down therefore raising compression.

BLEEDRED
02-09-2005, 03:48 PM
I could be completely wrong here but, I'm pretty sure there's no reason for an o-ring there. What your probably seeing is a gasket sealer compound (like caulking) that was applied in the place of a gasket. Possibly to bring the whole cylinder and head down therefore raising compression.

Nope, I built the engine and I put the O ring there, just as the stock set up was. Apparently the O ring is to help stop any oil from getting between the sleeve and the jug which could change the way the sleeve disapates heat...not a good thing.

So if it was excessive heat is it something I should worry about?

mojoe2878
02-09-2005, 04:11 PM
i wouldnt worry about it, the 440 puts out more heat than the stock set up does, and its probably a little too much for the o-ring to handle.
i never put the o-ring on mine, just the base gasket.

BLEEDRED
02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
So my best bet would be to lose the O ring when I set this bad boy back up?

cals400ex
02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
when i built my 426 with the larger sleeve i was wondering the same thing. it seems as if 1/2 of the people used it and the other half didn't. i asked mickey dunlap and he said don't use it. so, i didn't. i have no problems to this day.

BLEEDRED
02-10-2005, 05:46 AM
i asked mickey dunlap and he said don't use it.

Mickey is the man...that's more than enough for me!! Thanks.