PDA

View Full Version : bent stering stem

kxrider
05-01-2002, 08:40 PM
i was letting a friend ride my 250ex, and he was going up a hill and fliped it over backwards, and bent the stering stem, is there i way to bend it back or should i just look for a new one

PDunes300ex
05-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Check service honda...but i thinka new one is only like $50. I don't think it would be too easy to bend back a steering stem...especially if is twisted as well as bent.
just my $.02

waloud
05-01-2002, 10:44 PM
Don't feel bad, the same thing happened to me last summer. I bought mine through my honda dealer for $65. They're real easy to install. Even the toe-in was pretty easy. Just make sure you double check and make sure your rims don't rub. Mine looked good, but on the first ride I noticed some rubbing. You can also straighten the shaft out. I had a guy do mine at a tractor repair shop and it came out pretty good. I'll keep it for an extra.

hetrick425ex
05-02-2002, 05:22 AM
now that you guys mention it my friend on his 250ex bent his sstem also hmmm they must be really weak or somehting

Scott
05-02-2002, 05:29 AM
They can be straightened. If you got lucky and it's only bent in one direction, it can be straightened while still on the bike. I've seen it done with a pry-bar. Personally, I reccommend taking it off the bike and having someone use a hydraulic press to straighten it out.

Or you can but a new one...

hetrick425ex
05-02-2002, 05:53 AM
i dont think i would straighten a stering stem because like PDunes300ex said if it is twisted then.... plus it wil make it bend again easier....id get a new one!

kxrider
05-02-2002, 03:05 PM
thanks for the advice but i though a new one was like 200$ that is why i wanted to try to straighten it, it is only bent 1 direction though straght back towards the gas tank

05-02-2002, 08:46 PM
yeah i just bent my 400ex's stering stem and i was going to staiten it out but when i did it just got really week and teh next time i roled it over it bent back. so i just choped off the the very tip top and the bottem and welded a solid steel rod the the two ends. it has worked so far and i dont think it will bend ever again.
johnny