PDA

View Full Version : sprockets, front or back??

jca 300ex
02-08-2005, 07:42 PM
hey i was wondering if i should get a bigger front or bigger back sprocket for increase in top speed..idc about the price or ne thing but does it matter wether you switch front or back?? does it do the same thing? thanks... i have a 2001 300ex full FMF powercore 4 system jetted with k&n airfilter and few other mods..if that helps you to kn omore about answering this question thanks alot people!

aviator4
02-08-2005, 08:02 PM
In theory putting a larger front sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket shoud increase the overall top end speed of the quad, but there are lots of other factors to take in to consideration as well.

I seriously doubt you're hitting the rev limiter in 5th gear (or 4th, I forget) if you're engine is completley stock. The limitation isn't how fast the axle can turn, it's how fast the engine can turn the axle.

If you want more top end, you should look at things that will get the full potential out of a stock engine. Things like a cam, piston, rod etc.. I don't really know what all is available for a 300EX, but I am sure some of those things are.

combining that with a sprocket change will get you the best results. Otherwise, you are sacraficing acceleration for top end speed, which isn't good. As the Top Alcohol boys say, it's not about going fast, it's about going fast faster. Thats why 0-60 times are so "important" with high end sports cars.

Best of luck!