PDA

View Full Version : Banning of 2-Strokes

trailboss250
02-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I am doing a essay about the banning of 2-strokes in the future. I am adgainst it. I know this topic has probly been beat to death, but i dont have the time to search. So can anyone give me info or even options? thanks

underpowered
02-08-2005, 06:37 PM
they are not being banned, but production is stopping. banning means thay cannot be used. if you have one, you can still use it but cannot buy a new one. I am against it as well. There is no hope for a new 250R :(

Honda400exrox
02-08-2005, 06:47 PM
this is my oppinon so dont flame me for it
but when it comes to MX for dirtbikes the 2-strokes are wayyy better than 4strokes on the track in all ways and im gunna be sad to see ppl stop racing them:(

AtvMxRider
02-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
they are not being banned, but production is stopping. banning means thay cannot be used. if you have one, you can still use it but cannot buy a new one. I am against it as well. There is no hope for a new 250R :(

They will not stop producing 2-strokes for competition use. You will still be able to purchase a 2-stroke dirtbike.

trailboss250
02-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Ok, so they wont be banned from the dunes or Gncc racing or anything like that?

gyt-r450
02-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by trailboss250

i dont think so

Mxjunkie
02-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
They will not stop producing 2-strokes for competition use. You will still be able to purchase a 2-stroke dirtbike.

so they are stopping mass production of them and lowering it? i'm kinda lost there.. :confused:

Syrus
02-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by trailboss250

Um actually i think they might get banned from some areas like that, foresure public areas.

As for the "no hope for a new 250r. Your wrong, they can still make a 250rF :P just fourstroke. But who knows, they might not even bother. But im sure they could make a near clone of the 250r with a fourstoke engine. Honda never ceses to amaze me.

Butters
02-08-2005, 08:45 PM
yeah i think the death of the 2-stroke won't be to much farther into the future. now adays everything that was once 2 strokes is 4 and everything that was gas is now a hybrid. now for the diesel quads. :D

chucked
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM

yay, finally someone who isnt an idiot! Its all about the EPA man, on their website they show how much they are adding restrictions on emmissions, like by the year 2020 they plan to reduce emmissions in quads by 90% or something stupid. f the epa

Butters
02-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by chucked
yay, finally someone who isnt an idiot! Its all about the EPA man, on their website they show how much they are adding restrictions on emmissions, like by the year 2020 they plan to reduce emmissions in quads by 90% or something stupid. f the epa

yeah f them :D

hetrick425ex
02-08-2005, 10:55 PM
i am in the process of writing a 25 page research paper on the switch from 2 to 4 strokes.... it should be interesting :) college english 102 sucks

Mxjunkie
02-08-2005, 11:03 PM

lol they need to worry about cars and get off our ***'s

chucked
02-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
lol they need to worry about cars and get off our ***'s

o yea cars will be just as strict

sharkinthepool
02-09-2005, 05:13 AM
Cars will be OK for a while. They will jump on the Diesel trucks first. Most likely hit the company's that put the diesels in the cars next. It will be a big ball of sheee that just rolls down hill getting bigger and bigger.

02-09-2005, 05:35 AM

are you kidding me? they are stopping production of ALL 2 strokes, meaning ALL 2 strokes... not just one or 2... Im taking a huge hit on the end of 2 strokes, as i run a marine repair business, and sell alot of 2 strokes.. since half these idiots are puppets, i gotta start selling 4 strokers.. which i dont mind.. but if you have ever had a 2 stroke motor apart vs a 4 stroker, you would see the difference.

They are stopping all production of 2 strokes if they already havent... and by 2010, they will BAN 2 strokes... but im sure that bill will get changed as it always does.. go read the proposal and youll find out all you need to know about this subject.

Jesse

tiger250ex
02-09-2005, 05:44 AM
2 strokes aren't supposed to stop being made till 2007 so enjoy em while u still can:macho I think 4 strokes r better bc they need less maintnence ands no mixing but 2 strokes r really fast. I will alway remember wen I rode a 250r it was FAST:cool:

sharkinthepool
02-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
are you kidding me? they are stopping production of ALL 2 strokes, meaning ALL 2 strokes... not just one or 2... Im taking a huge hit on the end of 2 strokes, as i run a marine repair business, and sell alot of 2 strokes.. since half these idiots are puppets, i gotta start selling 4 strokers.. which i dont mind.. but if you have ever had a 2 stroke motor apart vs a 4 stroker, you would see the difference.

They are stopping all production of 2 strokes if they already havent... and by 2010, they will BAN 2 strokes... but im sure that bill will get changed as it always does.. go read the proposal and youll find out all you need to know about this subject.

Jesse

Yeah, I had heard that but was really confused when they stated that you could still buy them? To race. Nope, I heard gone completely.

cds
02-09-2005, 10:40 AM
<<So can anyone give me info or even options? thanks>>

If you are nice to one of the librarians at your college library, they should be able to at least point you in the right direction for finding sources.

I'd probably start by researching all of the California C.A.R.B. stuff you can get your hands on. You should be able to do your whole paper based on the information you can uncover here (government reports, environmental studies, equipment manufacturers).

Make sure to have at least one interview as a source (do it by phone if you can't do it in person). You might be suprised how many people would be willing to talk about their work to a student.

Your paper needs to be academic quality. Use good reasoning and quote your sources as you present your argument. If you nurse a personal grudge in a non-academic manner, you will sound like a complete whino and likely get a bad grade.

Yes, many academics are whinos, but they usually write good quality papers.

Write a balanced paper.

Isssues you can address on the pro 2-stroke side include:
Talk about how 2-strokes produce for power per cc, how they don't have to be environmentally "dirty" (marine Direct Fuel Injected 2-strokes), why "old tech" 2-strokes don't actually harm the environment as much as the tree-huggers want you to think.

Use sources from both sides of the argument.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck. That should make a great paper! I've been wanting to write and publish a rebuttal to the 2-stroke haters for some time, but I have other priorities. LOL, especially considering that I'm not a writer!

DaleJrFan
02-09-2005, 11:04 AM
yamaha is not going to stop producing them(quads), they are just going to stop selling them in the US to meet epa standards. as for riding them in parks, some areas have emissions standards or noise standards. a state park can test your quad to see if it is producing some crappy gases that are illeagal and if it is, they can tell you that your quad isnt allowed in their park. i dont know about other quad makers, but yamaha dosnt want the headache of dealing with the epa.

rneal
02-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Straight from the source.

http://www.epa.gov/epahome/headline2_091802.htm

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cleanrec.htm

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/proposal/cleanrec.htm

300ex13
02-09-2005, 12:31 PM

the epa is gay they have nothing better to do than to ruin our fun i heard the 250r is maybe going to be banned from mx racing because of all the hp it has...is this true?

trick450r
02-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 300ex13
the epa is gay they have nothing better to do than to ruin our fun i heard the 250r is maybe going to be banned from mx racing because of all the hp it has...is this true?

thats horse ****...they are about equal hp wise with a new 450....trust me i have both

02-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
yamaha is not going to stop producing them(quads), they are just going to stop selling them in the US to meet epa standards. as for riding them in parks, some areas have emissions standards or noise standards. a state park can test your quad to see if it is producing some crappy gases that are illeagal and if it is, they can tell you that your quad isnt allowed in their park. i dont know about other quad makers, but yamaha dosnt want the headache of dealing with the epa.

LOL remember what happened to 3 wheelers? they didnt ban them, they jsut banned the importing of them to the united states.. look how much longer they lasted. Now do you HONESTLY think that yamaha is going to continue to produce 2 strokes, with there BIGGEST market cut out? i think not.. they are going to go where the money is period.

Jesse

DaleJrFan
02-09-2005, 04:51 PM
let me re-state that, they are going to continue to sell 4-strokes in the US but not 2-strokes, the banshee will still be produced, just not sold in the US!!

250rAL
02-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
LOL remember what happened to 3 wheelers? they didnt ban them, they jsut banned the importing of them to the united states.. look how much longer they lasted. Now do you HONESTLY think that yamaha is going to continue to produce 2 strokes, with there BIGGEST market cut out? i think not.. they are going to go where the money is period.

Jesse

What he said. Two strokes are going to be around for a LONG time. Just not new. Can you see the big gov't trucks coming around collecting all your two strokes(chainsaws, leaf blowers, weed eaters, lawnmowers, ATV's) because they've been banned? This is coming from a rider of a 20 year old "banned" trike.