PDA

View Full Version : Problem!!!!!

98300EX
05-01-2002, 08:15 PM
I was doing some routine maintenance and cleaning on my 300 ex and discovered that I can't remove my rear wheels from the hubs. I have taken the lugs off, but still they won't budge. My right rear needs a new axle bearing, so I am going to go ahead and replace the left and right, but that is hard to do when the wheels stuck to the hubs. Any suggestions for removal?

I am going to try and remove the entire hub with the wheel and tire on it when I get a long enough socket extension, but would still like some suggestions. Thanks!!!

Ex'r Marlin
05-01-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 98300EX
I am going to try and remove the entire hub with the wheel and tire on it when I get a long enough socket extension, but would still like some suggestions. Thanks!!!
That is what I would recommend doing. I have witnessed a person banging the rims off for the same reason, only to find he had really bent the rims in the process. Sorry to hear what happened to you, but I would avoid "banging" them off.

Good luck!

Note: Once you get that socket extension, you will be glad you did!!

cdalejef
05-01-2002, 09:04 PM
I am gussing that you have some aftermarket rims. If so, you have to put the lug nuts on backwards (flat side first) with washers. What happens is the lug nut mashes the alum. down to were it pinches the lug making it hard to remove.

250xman
05-01-2002, 09:22 PM
i had the same thing happen to me on my 250x. what i did wsa i took of the hubs with the wheels still on them, heated the wheel and studs witha torch and put and old swingarm bolt on the top of the stud and beat the bolt with a hammer and after about 3 hits the stud came out and then i took about 2 for the others. once you get the 1st one you wont have much trouble with em. hope i helped ya some!:)