PDA

View Full Version : Replacing timing chain?

BLEEDRED
02-08-2005, 04:03 PM
What kind of job is it to replace my timing chain? I currently have the top end torn down as I am installing HD head studs. I was thinking about adding a little extra insurance and going with the CRF450 timing chian. As I was thumbing through my Clymer in the garage this afternoon it looks like it might be a little bit of a job to get to the chain on the botton end. Looks like I have to pull the clutch and the Clymer talked about doing some grinding to do that...

Any help here? Is it difficult? What is involved? Should I spent the time since the top end is already torn down? Thanks in advance.

400exrider707
02-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes you should do it, its not too bad, just pop off the clutch cover and take the clutch assembly off, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Then jsut reassemble. wasn't too bad at all

shamisc
02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Shouldn't have to do any grinding. You do have to pull the clutch ***. and the oil pump. Then you should be able to wiggle here and there to get the chain on the bottom sprocket. There's a nut on the clutch ***. that has a punched in notch on it, but you can tap that out with a screwdriver. I would order a new nut with the chain from servicehonda.com. If you have any mech. skills at all, it's not that hard. Just use your manual.;)

BLEEDRED
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm better than a trained monkey when it comes to turning wrenches and I can read real well...so I will take your advice and swap it out...thanks.