PDA

View Full Version : propper jetting..

KingKash420
02-08-2005, 11:59 AM
how do you know when your quad is properly jetted to achieve max power?

i bought my 440 already worked but between hard starts and serious bogging untill it is fully warmed up i am starting to think the jetting is incorrect...

can you tell a jet size by looking at the jet itself?

any help on the subject is much appreciated, thanks guys!

cals400ex
02-08-2005, 12:23 PM
take the carb apart and see what is in there. you will want to look at the mainjet, pilot jet, and needle clip position. the numbers will be on the jets. check this link out to walk you through:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=19832

KingKash420
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
thanks man, i really appreciate you taking the time to help me out

i am just a little reluctant to take the carb apart in fear of not putting it back together correctly, is it simple or hard to do?

Quad18star
02-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by KingKash420
thanks man, i really appreciate you taking the time to help me out

i am just a little reluctant to take the carb apart in fear of not putting it back together correctly, is it simple or hard to do?

Jetting a carb is very simple man ... just take your time ... look at how it all comes apart . If you're skeptical about doing it yourself , have someone that ahs done it before there with you , and have them walk you through it step by step . Carb maintenance is soemthing all riders should learn to do ... just like greasing all pivot points .

cals400ex
02-09-2005, 04:00 PM
yes, it is easy after you do it. just read this article step by step and you will get it done. if you have any questions during the process, make a post and more than likely you will find what your looking for.

2001400exrider
02-19-2005, 06:33 PM
ok but when u re-jett and u dont get ur main jet rite and u need to change it, u have to take off everything agian to change the main jet........................................... am i correct?

cals400ex
02-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by 2001400exrider
ok but when u re-jett and u dont get ur main jet rite and u need to change it, u have to take off everything agian to change the main jet........................................... am i correct?

NO, you can simply loosen the 17mm nut on the bottom of the carb. right inside that is the mainjet. it is 6mm's. it is a bit snug getting too it but it can be done without any problems after you do it a few times. remember to turn the gas off first. however, sometimes when you take out the mainjet the whole needle jet holder comes out with it. to get this in position correctly i always take the carb apart so i can get that adjusted where it needs to be.