PDA

View Full Version : i got beat by a sportsman 400

MY450R
02-08-2005, 08:06 AM
well i was on the lake saturday and these guys were practicing ice racing.these guys were haulin *** at the oval
anyway i was checking them out when a guy pulls up on his sportsman or whatever that polaris 400 two stroke is.
hes like how does that 450 go?
i said it goes good .he says ok then lets race
we go to the strip where they do the radar runs and we do a rolling start because i still dont have studs(yeah im lazy)so i of course am spinning all over the place but im going pretty good
he immediatly pulls me off the start and stays there the whole run .beat me by a quad length.we turn around and do it again...same results.so i pulll up to the guy and was like wow what the hell is in that thing.he wouldnt tell me exactly what he had in it (yeah some big secret)but he said he just got it dynoed at 65.4 hp at the rear wheels. so im like yeah bullchit maybe at the crank.he insisted its at the rear wheels ,so i just nod and was like oh ok dude.anyway we raced a few more times and the closest i came to him was half a wheeler length but im sure if i had studs it would have been a better race
oh and thats the first time i was ever beat by another wheeler so i was pretty upset since all my friends at the fishing derby witnessed me getting stomped by a 4x4 !!

Kyle_Racer_31
02-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Dang :huh :eek2: ..........That Weird

rneal
02-08-2005, 08:30 AM
The polaris scrambler 400 is notorious for being a banshee burner. It "IS" one of the fastest drag quads out there. Check out this site.

http://www.aaenperformance.com/Power400.asp

In a straight line they are fast as hell but iit's a whole other story once you throw some turns at them.

bradley300
02-08-2005, 08:51 AM
think about it, its a 400 two stroke. the 4x4 just helped him smoke you off the line,lol. i totally beleive 64 hp at the wheels

MY450R
02-08-2005, 08:52 AM
yeah it was very fast
so maybe he had a stage 4? idk but it had very hard acceleration and i was amazed

tp300ex
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
did u have truble beliving it:confused: :devil:

YZ400EX
02-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I know a guy here that has a setup exactly like that..It is one of the badest Polaris Scramblers I have ever seen..eveything that can be done engine wise on this thing has been done..he had it all done by a place called Hot Seat or something like that..He started off with what he called the Banshee Killer Kit and has gone from there..He has all new clutches and all kinds of trick stuff. This thing rips..when I first heard about it I was like yea right whatever..its a freaking 4x4 automatic polaris, but when I actually seen it go I was amazed..he was smoking everything at the dunes..he burned me (of coarse) and he also smoked a way bad yfz 450, a Raptor 660, and pretty trick lookin Banshee and smoked my friends Trinity built DVX 440..This thing was crazy fast..I would have never believed it unless I seen it with my own eyes..he caims to have MORE than 65 HP to the wheels too..Thats alot, but after seeing what I saw I believe it..he says next he is going with the boondockers nitrous kit..who knows..I would have never put that much money into that anyways..think of what his quad would be like if he dumped that kinda cash into something cool?

Sportrax10
02-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Were his tires studded?

MY450R
02-08-2005, 10:49 AM
YEAH IT was pretty sick lookin but i definatly wouldnt get something like that but i suppose that if u just used it for ice racing its great .

rneal
02-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Maybe to him his quad is cool. That stage 4 kit is right around $1,300.00 for a 65.79% increase in hp. That doesn't sound bad to me. How much do you have to invest in a 4 stroke to get a 65% increase in hp?

Whether or not you think his quad is cool or not, it's still crazy fast and it's an automatic to boot.

If you look at the stage 5 kit you can go up to 75 hp! Stock is 38 hp, stage 5 is 75 hp. That is a 97.37% increase from stock for $1,975.00.

That is pretty impressive for any quad let alone a polaris if you ask me.

Mxjunkie
02-08-2005, 11:40 AM
the sportmans is kinda like a surburu sti and your 450 is like say a camaro, all wheel drive vs rear, all wheel drive will most likely get the launch, i bet if you got him on the line you'd beat him. Ive herd about a few of those polaris's stomping banshee's in dirt drags, pretty crazy!

MY450R
02-08-2005, 11:42 AM
yeah he was studded with new trekkers
it was a close one though i bet it would have maybe been even if i was studded but idk it was a fast quad

Sportrax10
02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
I bet it would have been a whole differant race if your tires were studded... :chinese:

NacsMXer
02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Stud up your tires and I think you would be WAY faster. I mean think about it, you're on ice, anytime you give it gas to accelerate faster your tires are gonna be busting loose. I bet you were fighting for traction the entire time while you raced him, while he just gripped and went. Stud up them tires and race him again, I think it would be a lot closer.

tclapp
02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I know a guy with a Scrambler but the only thing that is scrambler about it is plastic and parts of the frame. He works at a Polaris dealership and they have taken a Snowmoblie motor and put in the frame of this scrambler and put a shot of NOS this thing is so unbeliveabley fast.

bman9
02-08-2005, 04:13 PM
how long was this race? are you sure his tires were studded? because if you were only less than a bike behind thats really impressive. where did you get all the traction on that ice?