PDA

View Full Version : 300ex relocator question

roostin_dale
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Is it strong enough for mx...?? Can it hold up to racing every weekend, including the GNC Nationals?

I currently have 400ex +2 a-arms and custom length shocks to fit the stock mounts...

I want to change to 300ex +3 Burgard A-arms, relocator, and 400ex Elkas....will this be a better setup?

I am really wanting reply's from Jeff, Bradley, and you others that always reply to these kidns of threads....Thanks..

300exOH
02-08-2005, 06:54 AM
I can't really say how they will hold up to MX since I only trail ride but I had 250r a arms with the custom shocks and it never felt right at high speeds and I noticed it had very little turning radius. Also the tree roots in the woods would pull me around and tire me out fast. I switched to burgard +2 300ex arms and the shockmount and custom Elka and it is a huge improvement. It feels much smoother at speed and I don't get beat up by the bumpsteer. You'll want to order the shocks set up exactly for your a arms and bracket. The 400ex elkas won't be valved/sprung correctly for the burgards and shockmount. The shocks should be valved different because they sit almost straight up and down intead of angled like the 400ex's shocks. I think you'll be happier with the new setup after you ride on it for a while.

cdalejef
02-08-2005, 06:55 AM
It will depend on how good the fabricator is thats building the upper mount. I would have this custom made by someone that knows quads and racing. From what I've seen, I would not use the ones on Ebay for MX.

bradley300
02-08-2005, 07:36 AM
i would say as long as it is a strong metal, say stainless that it would be alright. the ones from ebay would probably work for a while, but i sure wouldnt want to be the one racing when it fails!

jeff has posted pics of dave maccarols bracket, its the best looking one i have seen. take that pic and what ever the measuremants are to a fabricator, explain the xtreme stress it will be under and he can make you one up with a good strong metal

bradley300
02-08-2005, 07:40 AM
i would also like to know what you think about the set up after your done!:devil:

it should be quite a bit nicer than your 400ex a-arms that i always rag on,lol

dirtmomma
02-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i would say as long as it is a strong metal, say stainless that it would be alright. the ones from ebay would probably work for a while, but i sure wouldnt want to be the one racing when it fails!

jeff has posted pics of dave maccarols bracket, its the best looking one i have seen. take that pic and what ever the measuremants are to a fabricator, explain the xtreme stress it will be under and he can make you one up with a good strong metal

Could someone post this pic?? I'm looking onchanging my front end also

bradley300
02-08-2005, 08:40 AM
let me try and find it, i know its on this site somewhere

bradley300
02-08-2005, 08:43 AM
jeff dosent sell these, but at least you could take this pic to a fabricator to give him an idea of what you want

dirtmomma
02-08-2005, 08:52 AM
THANKS Bradley ;) I have seen that pic LOL, think I'll print that out for my fabricator :D
OK so those are +2 300arms w/ Elka 400 shocks???????? Wait where did I read that?? LOL maybe I didn't, geez I'm losing it :o :p

bradley300
02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
i think the stroke is a little different between 400ex shocks and the shocks needed for this set up. 400 shocks should work, but if your getting new shocks, ask for custom shock spec sheet. take your measurements, fill out the sheet and send it in. then you know your shocks are perfect. you can use any size a-arms for this setup, even stockers, plus 2 is just a good general set up. if you do mainly mx/tt then plus 3 will work even better

roostin_dale
02-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
It will depend on how good the fabricator is thats building the upper mount. I would have this custom made by someone that knows quads and racing. From what I've seen, I would not use the ones on Ebay for MX.

jeff, do you think you could build me one for mx? Would you guys reccomend the relocator and 300ex +3's or...the American Star 300ex LT a-arms for 16 inch shocks??

bradley300
02-08-2005, 08:03 PM
personaly i wouldnt go with ASR, but thats just becasue i havent heard much about them, maybe you have. for mx i would go with the plus 3's. the plus 2's are for a more general riding set up.

also, if the asr's use a 16inch shock, adding the bracket for even longer shocks would be uncharted territory.

roostin_dale
02-08-2005, 08:32 PM

also, if the asr's use a 16inch shock, adding the bracket for even longer shocks would be uncharted territory.

no i was asking which do you think of the setups would be better

1- 300ex +3 Burgards, Elkas, Relocator

OR

2- The 300ex ASR LT A-arms that take a 16 1/2 inch shock...

bradley300
02-09-2005, 08:46 AM
oh i see, either way, the asr lt's are uncharted territory, i havent tried them and dont know anyone who has so i wouldnt be able to tell you if there better or not. my biggest concern is ASR quality. it would help if thee is a pic of tose a-arms and shocks mounted on a 300

roostin_dale
02-09-2005, 11:44 AM
oh i see, either way, the asr lt's are uncharted territory, i havent tried them and dont know anyone who has so i wouldnt be able to tell you if there better or not. my biggest concern is ASR quality. it would help if thee is a pic of tose a-arms and shocks mounted on a 300

I ran ASR on an old quad and they are underated, they are a nice a-arm. I have heard of a couple people running this LT setup and they say its the best 300ex front end on the market...i might try it

m250r
02-09-2005, 12:38 PM
heres the best pic i could find..i would say..go for the 16 1/2 inch elkas..that setup would be SICK!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p6428108b3b726264e4d2f7592a46b482/f52f4ab5.jpg

countypark
02-09-2005, 02:08 PM
When you fab up your shockmount you will want to make sure that you get your front and rear wheel travel to be as close as possible. Ideally you would want to get the front to match the rear, but with 400EX Elka's you are going to find that they are going to be a little long.

My swingarm is extended 2 inches but the shock mount is in stock position. My rear wheel travel is 10 inches. That is fully extended rear shock to fully compressed rear shock (steel to steel) and I have set it to bottom out with the frame 2.5 inches from the ground.

Using the same travel in the front with my +2 +1 300EX a-arms I can use my 400EX Elkas but they bottom out on the bumper not steel to steel, so it is a little more then 10 in the front. It is not the ideal situation but I am going to run it for a few races and see how it feels.

Last season I ran a relocator with these shocks but I didn't have the wheel travel set up to use the whole travel of the shock, Although it improved the ride somewhat, I feel it could have been alot better. It was setup so the frame would bottom before the shock, my front bumper hit the ground many times!! It could be dangerous to run like that, luckily I didn't wreck at all.

My a-arms have two different shockmounts on them so I had the option of pushing the shocks out towards the wheels further. The suspension dimensions will change depending on what a-arms you get. Don't try to get what I have, I don't think they are being made anymore.

I will be posting a thorough review on this set-up in a future 300EX Project section on this site.

Once I feel good about the relocator I am going to weld it to the frame as I think the bolt-on option could possible move under impact. Like if you land on one wheel or hit a stump or something.

roostin_dale
02-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by m250r
heres the best pic i could find..i would say..go for the 16 1/2 inch elkas..that setup would be SICK!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p6428108b3b726264e4d2f7592a46b482/f52f4ab5.jpg

yea, thats the pic off their site, only one i have seen to date...but the arms arent on a 300ex (look at the frame)

If i get the set-up I will deffenitely get Elka's with it...even if no one has info, i guess i could be the test dummy...

Cody_300ex
02-09-2005, 06:15 PM
The mount that my dad and I built has been holding up fine. I do some pretty rigorus trail riding, and I have a 25 foot single that i bottom out on all the time (in the process of building landing ramp). I know jeff and bradley will say something about the stroke or spring rates being wrong but I just bought some used 400ex tripple rate front shocks off eBay, built a mount and it rode. I know the shocks arnt 100% set up for this but I've been riding on it since early september, and I love it. If I had the money i would have gotten custom tcs's or something but Im on a very tight buget being I'm only 13. Overall I'll give my front end it a 8 or of ten. And a 1 compared to my friends PEP, Pro-trax set up. :ermm:

Cody_300ex
02-09-2005, 06:33 PM
!

Cody_300ex
02-09-2005, 06:38 PM
@

02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
whoa rigorous..increasing your vocabulary!

bradley300
02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
i would check our rules first, i think you cant weld the frame for any travel so you'd have to stick with the bolt on. doubt a tech guy would ever catch it, but why try and make it pass

Originally posted by countypark
When you fab up your shockmount you will want to make sure that you get your front and rear wheel travel to be as close as possible. Ideally you would want to get the front to match the rear, but with 400EX Elka's you are going to find that they are going to be a little long.

My swingarm is extended 2 inches but the shock mount is in stock position. My rear wheel travel is 10 inches. That is fully extended rear shock to fully compressed rear shock (steel to steel) and I have set it to bottom out with the frame 2.5 inches from the ground.

Using the same travel in the front with my +2 +1 300EX a-arms I can use my 400EX Elkas but they bottom out
on the bumper not steel to steel, so it is a little more then 10 in the front. It is not the ideal situation but I am going to run it for a few races and see how it feels.

Last season I ran a relocator with these shocks but I didn't have the wheel travel set up to use the whole travel of the shock, Although it improved the ride somewhat, I feel it could have been alot better. It was setup so the frame would bottom before the shock, my front bumper hit the ground many times!! It could be dangerous to run like that, luckily I didn't wreck at all.

My a-arms have two different shockmounts on them so I had the option of pushing the shocks out towards the wheels further. The suspension dimensions will change depending on what a-arms you get. Don't try to get what I have, I don't think they are being made anymore.

I will be posting a thorough review on this set-up in a future 300EX Project section on this site.

Once I feel good about the relocator I am going to weld it to the frame as I think the bolt-on option could possible move under impact. Like if you land on one wheel or hit a stump or something.