View Full Version : sanding plastic?????

exracer416
02-07-2005, 07:03 PM
ok heres my situation i have new maier plastic front and side panels for a 400ex but they are the old non shiny type. what im wondering is if i get a set of shiny rears and wet sand them this would take some of the shine away right????? ive given up hope on finding a set of non shiny rears. thanks

Warnerade
02-08-2005, 06:57 PM
i dont realy think there is a way to dull plastic...besides age...if you sand the plastic, it will leave scratches....and the only way to get the scratches out, would be to either sand with a finer grit, or use a buffer on it...either way, it will leave you with a shine.

wilkin250r
02-09-2005, 05:44 PM
If memory serves, the shiny Maier plastics are a different material. I think the older, dull plastics were a polyethylene, and the shiny plastics are a polypropylene. When you sand them, it's very possible that they will have different colors.

If you are going to sand them, I would suggest sanding both the rear AND the front, this is the most likely way to match them. As with any sanding, start with a coarse grit, and work to a fine grit. Take your time, don't skimp, or it will show in your final product.

Plante400
02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
if yer gfetting new backs.. jstu get new "shiny" fronts also

400exrider707
02-09-2005, 09:32 PM
I picked up my Non-shiny fronts and backs for $75!! I love them. I think they look way better than shiny anyway. Keep looking for them cause they look awesome!!!