PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas

400exrider707
02-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Ok this winter I did my rebuild. 11:1 piston, Hot cam, yada yada yada. Right now I'm running 93 octane and the machine is running fine. I've thought about running race gas, just for when I'm racing. I figured when Im racing it, I putting a lot more load on my engine and thought that the race gas would help to keep it a little cooler. I figured it couldn't hurt!? What I'm wondering is if I could use the 106-107 octane aviation fuel (low lead) that is found at the pumps. Is there really a difference between this pump gas and the VP other than the obvious octane ratings? The only reason I ask is cause the stuff at the pumps is like $2.39 a gallon and this would save me a ton, plus I really dont need anything higher than that in octane. Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:cool:

efilnicafesin
02-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't know if it is related or not, but I was running av gas and after a few weeks, I developed carb problems to the point where I swapped it out. I started getting a green "ooze" coming from the float bowl gasket, drain plug and other assorted areas of the carb. I know other people have run it without trouble. The quad ran great with it the first few tanks, but slowly started going downhill. For all I know, it could have something to do with the oil on my air filter as well... not sure of the cause, but since I stopped using it, all has been fine..

400exrider707
02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Well I ran it in my modded banshee and never had any problems but I really could have cared less about it, my 400 has a fresh rebuild and I just dont want to screw anything up. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have an opinion?

RIDER136
02-07-2005, 07:14 PM
with those mods i would run 97 octane thats what i run and i have about he same mods as u quad runs great on this stuff and have had no trouble wiht this mix . try that before going to the 107 octane anyways just my opinion:D

enduro400rider
02-07-2005, 07:51 PM
when i race at my local track i use a 50/50 mix with race gas and 93 octane it runs good and isnt to expensive if you do it 50/50 you should get about 4 or 5 gallons of good gas for about 20 or 30 bucks depending on what the race gas goes for around you theres a few regular gas stations around me the sell 110 octane near the drag strips for about $10 gallon so you might want to check the gas stations near drag strips near you and see what you can find. But what ever you do dont use an Octane additive like you see at autozone or a place like that, that stuff can cause some damage

400exrider707
02-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah I know not to use the additives, but I cant get 97 anywheres around here, and the racetrack by my house sells the 107, and some little *** gas station in the middle of the hood sells the 107 too. Other than that I have to go to an offroad shop to get VP. The cheapest stuff they have is like $4.50 a gallon and some of the good stuff is like 7 or 8 a gallon. Where do you get 97?

kbh78
02-07-2005, 09:49 PM
With 11:1 you can still get away with 93 octane without a problem but if you want to run a little higher octane I would recomend mixing 93 with the 107 you say you can get just mix it 50/50 and that will be ok. Just what ever you do make sure you keep doing that and jet the quad properly because higher octane will change your jetting a litte because it carries a little more oxygen. Go to lukesracing and they have a section about it.

400exrider707
02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah I know I can run the 93, since thats what I've been running, but I just was just wondering if the 107 at the pump is junky gas or what? Will the low lead 107 mix well with the unleaded 93? Thanks for the replies.