PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cam Stage 2 With only K&N and HMF exhaust?

Metzroth
02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Will I see noticable gains with a hot cam stage 2 on my EX with just K&N air filter no airbox lid and HMF exhaust? Is there something better I could do for power with $150?

ILGNCC400EX
02-07-2005, 03:08 PM
i would go with uni filter id stay away from the k&n they dont filter all that good.hmf is good get the quite core.leave the airbox lid on just vent it

Rico
02-07-2005, 03:14 PM
I don't think it's going to run too good with a stock piston and top end cam. Your bottom end will probably suck and you'll be hating life..

400exrider707
02-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I don't think it's going to run too good with a stock piston and top end cam. Your bottom end will probably suck and you'll be hating life..

Agreed. If your going to do the cam, the piston goes hand in hand

Metzroth
02-07-2005, 03:52 PM
k then should I save my money till I can afford a new piston and cam at the same time? Or is there something better I can do with the $150 (ex: aluminum airbox, CDI box etc.). Again right now I'm only doing power suspension is my next project and when its all done If I can afford it I will make it look nice. But that is not at the top of my priorities. (Really neither is power mroe important thatn suspension just that i already got stuff for power so I want to get it done than start working on suspension).

02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
i would go with uni filter id stay away from the k&n they dont filter all that good.hmf is good get the quite core.leave the airbox lid on just vent it

hrmm.. i have seen this many times..

k and n filters DO filter good.. i ride in a fairly dusty area, i can pull the airbox lid off and theres dust inside of there, all over the place, take the filter off, and its as clean as it was when it came from the factory.. know why? because it is cleaned and oiled PROPERLY.

i say stick with the k&n, as far as the performance, just like everyone else said, you wont see much difference, and will probably have a drop in performance, just because you dont have the other stuff to complement it.. to really make that cam work.. a nice port job, a higher compression piston, maybe some new valve springs.. then you will start to see a pretty good difference

Jesse

Metzroth
02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I already have a K&N so i wasn't planning on switching to a UNI. Am I going to have to switch needles with the K&N and HMF Full? Cuz I bought a used Jet kit and the needle is gone. (I wont make that mistake again). If so where can I buy the correct one. I thought I read just move the needle up 2 clicks. I'm going to run no airbox lid or vented airbox lid, not sure yet. I've asked this question before but I'm not sure what to think (and I usually like the answer I hear so why not hear them again). How much of a difference will I feel from stock with K&N air filter, HMF full, and rejet. Thanks for puttin up with my questions. BTW does the offer to pit with you this year still stand ILGNCC400EX? Do you race any local tracks where they dont monitor age too much? I'm 15 so i still got a year. Anyways I look forward to reading all your replies. Still looking for suggestions on what to get with the $150 or if I should just save it until I can afford all the stuff to goto 12:1 compression with a new cam.

ILGNCC400EX
02-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
I already have a K&N so i wasn't planning on switching to a UNI. Am I going to have to switch needles with the K&N and HMF Full? Cuz I bought a used Jet kit and the needle is gone. (I wont make that mistake again). If so where can I buy the correct one. I thought I read just move the needle up 2 clicks. I'm going to run no airbox lid or vented airbox lid, not sure yet. I've asked this question before but I'm not sure what to think (and I usually like the answer I hear so why not hear them again). How much of a difference will I feel from stock with K&N air filter, HMF full, and rejet. Thanks for puttin up with my questions. BTW does the offer to pit with you this year still stand ILGNCC400EX? Do you race any local tracks where they dont monitor age too much? I'm 15 so i still got a year. Anyways I look forward to reading all your replies. Still looking for suggestions on what to get with the $150 or if I should just save it until I can afford all the stuff to goto 12:1 compression with a new cam. ya you can pit with us if you can put up with the abuse ha ha

enduro400rider
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
i have a stage 2 on my 400 with an exhuast and UNI i noticed a little more power whe i got the cam put in but i also got a XR400 head gasket to raise the compresstion a little bit i also have a carb though so you might want a jet kit for yours it would probably help complement that cam if your doing trail riding go with the stage 1 for bottom end if your worried about loosing that bottom end power. i was supposed to get a stage 1 but the shop "accidently" installed the wrong one and decided not to tell me but i am pretty happy with its power so id say get the cam but also get an xr400 head gasket and a jet kit hope it work out for you i would also recommend you go with uni but thats just my opinion

muddy400EX
02-07-2005, 08:32 PM
would a stage 1 cam do much for my engine. i have a pipe, filter, jets, blah blah. im wantin more top end

seven
02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
I jad just a stage 2 cam and it really woke up my 400. I could pull any hill in 1 gear Higher. If I could do it in 3rd before the cam, It would do it in fourth after the cam and I didnt do the piston but if you have the money do it

muddy400EX
02-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by seven
I jad just a stage 2 cam and it really woke up my 400. I could pull any hill in 1 gear Higher. If I could do it in 3rd before the cam, It would do it in fourth after the cam and I didnt do the piston but if you have the money do it

hmmm, with a stock motor and stuff? any probs like loosing bottom end or nething? thats exactly the kinda power im wantin!!

Metzroth
02-08-2005, 07:08 AM
muddy 400ex where is that picture taken? Where in central illinois are ya? That garage with the other building next to it looks like Stone Seed. I decided to save up some money and get a 426 kit bore it out and get a stage 2 cam. So I prolly wont get this stuff done for awhile. But I can't wait :). Also my header comes in today, I was fortunate enough to be sick today:ermm: so i get to be here when it gets here and maybe order my silencer today.

muddy400EX
02-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
muddy 400ex where is that picture taken? Where in central illinois are ya? That garage with the other building next to it looks like Stone Seed. I decided to save up some money and get a 426 kit bore it out and get a stage 2 cam. So I prolly wont get this stuff done for awhile. But I can't wait :). Also my header comes in today, I was fortunate enough to be sick today:ermm: so i get to be here when it gets here and maybe order my silencer today.

im in centralia IL. the garage behind the 400 is just my garage and the house next to it is my neighbors. nebody else ever have a hotcams 1 or 2 with a stock motor that could give me some info?

400EX QUADER
02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
My friend said he has had 2 400ex's with a pipe, filter,and jetted right. One he had a stage 1 and the other a 2. He said the 2 made you lose quite abit of bottom end but gained some top. The 1 gives you alot of bottom end and barely any top end. You pick. I ordered the stage 1 on sat. because I've heard better things about those. I will get a change to try it the 26th of this month. I'll give a review of the differences in the sand with and without the cam.;)

Metzroth
02-09-2005, 06:39 AM
oh. never heard of centralia :p sorry bout that. Thanks for the info quader post up after the 26th with the review.

muddy400EX
02-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
My friend said he has had 2 400ex's with a pipe, filter,and jetted right. One he had a stage 1 and the other a 2. He said the 2 made you lose quite abit of bottom end but gained some top. The 1 gives you alot of bottom end and barely any top end. You pick. I ordered the stage 1 on sat. because I've heard better things about those. I will get a change to try it the 26th of this month. I'll give a review of the differences in the sand with and without the cam.;)

does it lose any top with a stage 1? is there any thing else i should buy that goes with the cam?

cals400ex
02-09-2005, 09:36 PM
my buddies all gained everywhere with the stage 1. i rate that cam as a good all around performer. the stage 2 shines at high rpms.

muddy400EX
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
my buddies all gained everywhere with the stage 1. i rate that cam as a good all around performer. the stage 2 shines at high rpms.

sweet, i gotta get me one:D are they hard to put on? should i have someone else do it?

400EX QUADER
02-10-2005, 12:07 AM
If you have any basic engine knowledge,a good set of tools and a good manuel u can probably do it but not for sure. I'm having a friend do it. So try to find a friend to do it if not then look at around $100 labor at your dealer or a shop. The cam you should get from sweetquads.com. Call Tom there and tell him that I told u to call them for $119.99 shipped. Stage 1 or stage 2 are the same price so which ever one u want let me know. Tell him that i'm sickrider from atvconnection.com and we talk online. He will probably say yes. It's worth a shot. Pm me and tell me that your going to, and give me a couple of days to reach him and let him know. Get the stage 1 hotcam, it gives you mostly bottom-midrange power and a little bit of top. No you won't need anything else but in the future you may wanna put in a higher comp. piston but it's not necessary. If u get a piston and bore it out get a stage 2 cam. So all you will need is the hotcam. Hope this helps and I will give a review on how the cam works on the 26th. If anybody else wants this deal PM me and tell me a few days ahead of time(before you order it) so I can let Tom know. P.S. THE # for sweetquads is 253-476-0777 they are located in Tacomea washington. Have any ques. let me know.
Later,cory

400exrider707
02-10-2005, 10:07 AM
well technically any cam is goign to give you more mid and top, its just that the stage 1 wont take away from your bottome end whereas the stage II does take a little bottom end but then gives it back in top end. This is why high compression pistons and cams go hand in hand.

cals400ex
02-10-2005, 10:20 AM
the cams are not hard to replace. the only downside to the stage 1 hotcam is that it is kind of noisy (ticks). if you don't mind that, i would get one. if you do, i would look into a TC 926, xr400, hrc, or even a few others. these will just be more expensive than the hotcam. actaully, the xr400 cam is less aggressive than the hotcam too.

400EX QUADER
02-10-2005, 10:48 AM
well said cals, he's the man on engine stuff and jetting!:D ;)
Later,cory

400EX QUADER
02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
I talked to Tom at sweetquads and he said sure $119.99 shipped for a 400ex hotcam stage 1 or 2. Just give him a call at 253-476-0777 and ask for Tom. Tell him that U heard this from sickrider on atvconnection.com and he'll hook ya up!

400exrider707
02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
I talked to Tom at sweetquads and he said sure $119.99 shipped for a 400ex hotcam stage 1 or 2. Just give him a call at 253-476-0777 and ask for Tom. Tell him that U heard this from sickrider on atvconnection.com and he'll hook ya up!

Theyre down to like $100 now on ebay, but not sure how much shipping is!?

400EX QUADER
02-10-2005, 02:16 PM
The $100 is for a stage 2. If u want the 1 get it from tom. + I would really like to see him get better and better so he gets more popular. He's really nice too. You will barely ever see it for $120 shipped unless it's on ebay. Rockymountainatv sells them for $143.99 + shipping!!

muddy400EX
02-10-2005, 03:24 PM
thanks for the info 400EX QUADER. it helped out alot. im only 15 so im broke right now:( but when i get the money ill def. order from sweetquads.com. thanks again:)

400EX QUADER
02-10-2005, 03:30 PM
sure... I'm only 14 so.... lol:D Ya just pm me and tell me when u get the $.;)