PDA

View Full Version : How Does the 450R compare to the 400EX ????

frogburner
02-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Hows it compare you all??

Comfort?
Power?
Suspension?
Handling?
Overall ride??

Kilabanshee
02-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Since I own both ill reply.
The seat on the 400ex in my opinion is alittle nicer but with the 450r's styling and gastank your knees sit against the tank which is pretty comfortable.

The power to the 450r is night and day to the 400ex. The 450r has alot nicer power output and just revs far quicker then the 400ex.

The stock suspension on the 450r is far better then the 400ex due to the piggy back rezzy shock and the compression and rebound ajustments. The stock shocks can also be revalved/rebuilt with new springs and parts to make the ride site lower and handel better in the stock form for a cheap price.

The 450r handels pretty well stock but the steering stem and bars were my problem. I'm 6,2 and added a +2 stem and some renthal low bend bars and the handling and comfort is awesome. For people who do rought trail riding I'de deff get a steering stabilizer as one of your first mods.

Overall the 450r is just a better bike. More potential to be comfortable, nicer motor, great stock shocks, with a few mods you can really get this bike to handel and power like any quad out there.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I also have both

stock form 450r vs 416 I liked the power of the 416 better, but once you put in a cam and pipe it makes the 450r a hole new creature.

I do like the 450r suspension once it is converted to ssd

the 450r feels like a lighter bike, I feel like I have more control of it.

The only downfall for me is dead engine starts with the kicker :ermm:

the 450r seat is a lot harder than the 400ex, but still feels good

02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing

The only downfall for me is dead engine starts with the kicker :ermm:

i read somewhere that someone got the holeshot at the 12 hours of america on the 450r from the dead start

jmpulse
02-07-2005, 10:32 PM
There really isn't much comparison, I have both. Stock vs stock, I like the R's peg/handlebar/seat relation. It just feels fast. The lower weight is really noticable. The power of the motor stock of the R is doggy on the low rpm, but fun higher up. Going 1 tooth smaller on both is reccomended. I would suggest planning to get a cam and exaust for the R, mine came alive big time! The kick start is not normally an issue, unless you don't turn the gas on, and try to start it. Even pull starting it doesn't help! :rolleyes:

frogburner
02-08-2005, 04:04 AM
I'm thinkin of a R but dont want to lose the electric start when I'm climbing hills. That may be an issue in the woods.

400exrider707
02-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i read somewhere that someone got the holeshot at the 12 hours of america on the 450r from the dead start

There was an article in dirt wheels about 4 or 5 months back about a Moose racing 470R I believe. The guy used it for x-country racing. It was set up with a rekluse auto clutch. The guy grabbed every holeshot in every race he entered at that point. He did second gear starts. Kicked it over and nailed the gas! He was a pro-racer too and I cant remember his name. I'll see if I can dig it up later.

Rico
02-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
I'm thinkin of a R but dont want to lose the electric start when I'm climbing hills. That may be an issue in the woods.

I rode with several piped 450's this weekend and a piped YFZ. I had no problems keeping up with and passing them in several locations. We even hit a HUGE corn field and I stayed right with them, maybe even gained on them.

I've yet to see what the hoop la is about the new 450's...:confused: On a MX track I could see the difference if your a good rider and on a drag strip.

I've not rode a big bore 450 so I can't comment on them.

bloodhound400
02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
i also had a 450 and ended up trading it back for a 05 400ex i like the 400 better my friend still has his 450 and when we go trail riding he just wishes he could keep up!i say ride them both in the places you ride because everyone is different!!

kilabeez0
02-08-2005, 04:19 PM
^BS

upset he got an 05 400 and not a 450.

frogburner
02-08-2005, 04:58 PM
How did the 450R's do against the YZF's???? Curious to you all,,, whats the TOP SPEED of the R's????

wvspeedfreak
02-08-2005, 05:41 PM
As an owner of both I will give my opinions as well.This is a stock vs. stock comparison only because with the different combonations of mods out there it would be impossible to compare that way.

The R revs quicker and has more power than the 400 by a long shot.However I actually prefer the 400ex power/gearing combination for trail riding.The R definately has a lighter feel to it.The stock R suspension is far superior to the 400ex suspension.The 400ex seat is more comfortable to me but I wouldn't say the R is uncomfortable.
One more thing worth mentioning is the bulletproof reliability of the 400ex.The 450r seems pretty good so far but I doubt it will be as bomb proof as the 400ex.
These are just my opinions so take 'em for what they are worth;)

Rico
02-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
As an owner of both I will give my opinions as well.This is a stock vs. stock comparison only because with the different combonations of mods out there it would be impossible to compare that way.

The R revs quicker and has more power than the 400 by a long shot.However I actually prefer the 400ex power/gearing combination for trail riding.The R definately has a lighter feel to it.The stock R suspension is far superior to the 400ex suspension.The 400ex seat is more comfortable to me but I wouldn't say the R is uncomfortable.
One more thing worth mentioning is the bulletproof reliability of the 400ex.The 450r seems pretty good so far but I doubt it will be as bomb proof as the 400ex.
These are just my opinions so take 'em for what they are worth;)

Good comparison..

I guess I could have stated that my 400ex is not stock.

bloodhound400
02-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
^BS

upset he got an 05 400 and not a 450.

it is obvious that you cant read or else you would no that i did have an 05 450r!!

kilabeez0
02-09-2005, 05:12 PM
your too much of an idiot to realize I DID read your post and your BULL*****TING about ever owning a 450r. your crying because your parents bought you a 400.:p :p :p