PDA

View Full Version : C. Sparks timing key

Griff
02-07-2005, 01:24 PM
This might sound dumb, but what exactly is a timing key. For the ignition? easy of installation?

PunkA$$
02-07-2005, 02:28 PM
It advances the ignition timing (spark) by 6 degrees (I believe). This creates a crisper, quicker throttle response. As for ease of installation, I've never installed one, but it appears to be quite easy.

Griff
02-07-2005, 02:40 PM
So what are the differences between the timing key and a new ignition? (Dyna FS, Ricks Hot Shot)

PunkA$$
02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Well....... I'm really not too sure, so I found you this link. http://www.dynaonline.com/english/atv_fs.htm

Griff
02-07-2005, 03:30 PM
k thanx

85atc350x
02-07-2005, 03:40 PM
The timing advance key advances your ignition timing by 6 degrees. It works well and is a very inexpensive way to get a little more out of your 400ex. Installation is rather easy and only takes about 30-40 minutes.

jhvmat
03-01-2005, 10:56 PM
can you use it in a 426 built engine??

UglyMotha™
03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
yes but more than likely you may have to run race gas, the key / high compression combination will generate alot of heat and you could risk frying the piston :o

duke416ex
03-02-2005, 07:29 AM
You better check with the company before you put it in any built bike. I was gonna use it on my 416 and they told me it was mainly for a stock motor. They said it didn't perform well with a motor that had a high comp pistin, or cam, or other mods to it.

UglyMotha™
03-02-2005, 07:34 AM
i'm sure my bike wouldn't have a problem telling you otherwise ;)

duke416ex
03-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Thats just what the guy at curtis sparks told me, I figured he might know what he was talking about so I didn't try it. If it works more power to you, I was just going to get me a cdi, but have never gotten around to it.

UglyMotha™
03-02-2005, 07:50 AM
your goin to get a cdi, which will also advance your timing 6*, so what would be the difference between that and the key, the key only advances your timing 6* it doesn't do anything else :o

don't run the two together, 12* will cause engine damage

duke416ex
03-02-2005, 08:06 AM
I am ging to get a cdi for the extra rpm, and plus a key is a constant 6 degree change, a cdi gives a different curve, which means different timing at different rpms for a different power band, I wasn't being smart I was just stating my opinion, and why would I even think obout both of them?

UglyMotha™
03-02-2005, 08:15 AM
i'm just trying to say if you chew on there ear long enough they'll eventually come out and tell you it is safe to run as long as you take the extra precautions, running a key with a high compression piston will generate alot of heat and could melt the piston down if you run it on pump gas, if you go the extra mile to make sure the bike is running cool you'll be fine with the key they just say that pretty much so they don't have to worry bout people coming back on them saying that there product put a hole in there piston

cals400ex
03-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i'm just trying to say if you chew on there ear long enough they'll eventually come out and tell you it is safe to run as long as you take the extra precautions, running a key with a high compression piston will generate alot of heat and could melt the piston down if you run it on pump gas, if you go the extra mile to make sure the bike is running cool you'll be fine with the key they just say that pretty much so they don't have to worry bout people coming back on them saying that there product put a hole in there piston

the truth is finally coming out. your bike is getting rebuilt because you have a pretty hole in the top of the piston. :blah:

the way i look at it is that the piston is lighter now.

UglyMotha™
03-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the truth is finally coming out. your bike is getting rebuilt because you have a pretty hole in the top of the piston

BAH! third one this year :o