PDA

View Full Version : Oil in flywheel cover

hosted
02-07-2005, 11:20 AM
I have been having charging problems on my 400ex for the last year or so and I just figured it was something needed to be replaced in my electrical system. To make a long story short, I took my flywheel cover off my motor and about a 2 cups of oil came out with it. Is there a seal in there, or is there something majorly wrong? Thanks

44oEX
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
no it's normal oil can go in there is nothing to stop it. but all the wirers are sealed so it's all good don't worry about it

hosted
02-07-2005, 01:13 PM
So would you think my stator is just done for then? I hooked a tester up to the wires coming from the stator and it wasn't charging at all. I have my cousins motor in my shop in pieces, I might have to swap it out and see if that works. THanks

44oEX
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM
well it could be but we had the same problem on my friends 300ex and it was just a bad wire in the harnes. but if you have a spare you don't have anything to lose I would try it out.

MIKE400EX
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
2 cups is half a quart, if it's really that much then the drain back must be plugged. A few ounces +/- is normal. Hopefully it just seemed that way when it poured out on the floor!:)

44oEX
02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
well there are hole in the case so oil can go where it wants.

hosted
03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, I changed out the stator and still nothing. :mad: How would you guys try and test the harness without putting another one on there? I'm just about sick of messing with this dumb thing so any suggestions would be appreciated.

44oEX
03-11-2005, 05:48 AM
My buddy had this problem with his 300ex. Does the quad start up and run? and it just won't charge up?

if so try to start it up then ones it's warm up and running smooth unplug the battery ( just the ground or the live it doens't matter any one will work ). If the quad stalls right away it means that the stator is not making any power ( except for spak plug ). Or you have a broken wire somewhere.

if it doesn't stall. well then you you problem is probably the regulator ( I think thats what it's call. anyway the thing with coolling fins close to you batery. )

good luck

hosted
03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
440ex,

In the past I have just taken my battery out and push started it and ran it all day without the battery, so it isn't the problem. I'm praying that it is my regulator. Is there a way to test it without putting another one on?

44oEX
03-11-2005, 10:08 AM
yes....but I don't remember how lol. sorry

A girl that lives close to here had some trouble with her 400ex not charging. She had a manuel for it so she took it here am I started looking around. Ended up that she had a wire that came out of the regulator that was cut. I just spliced it back and she never had any problems since then.

I don't have a manuel of my own cause I don't really need it except for touble shooting so I never bothered to get one. But My advis would be get a clymers manuel and a good test light and start testing some wires. there is no reason for the regulator to just go bad so you might have a bad wire some where. it s*cks to try to find it but you have to try. Check in the manuel on how to test the regulator. but check the wirering first. a bad wire is alot cheaper then a regulator.

hosted
03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
No problem, when I go home from school next week I'll tear the wiring harness down and start looking for bad wires and test the regulator. I have a clymers laying around somewhere so I'll see what it says in there. Thanks

44oEX
03-11-2005, 05:18 PM
no problem man glad I could help:D