PDA

View Full Version : Dyna FS or Ricks Hot Shot

Griff
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Which is a better idea to go with: Dyna FS ignition or Ricks Hot Shot ignition?

chucked
02-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I have not had any experience with Ricks Hot Shot, But I have a dyna FS, Definately worth the money, so much more torque and throttle response, a GREAT buy!

Griff
02-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I know Ricks Hot Shot is quite a bit cheaper. Its probobly one of those deals where you get what u pay for.

chucked
02-07-2005, 02:15 PM
It was MUCH more noticible then when I put my exhaust on. Im sure they each complimented the other though

ZSK
02-07-2005, 02:23 PM
What does an ignition system do to benefit your quad?

Griff
02-07-2005, 02:36 PM
did u stick with the stock plug with the new ignition?

chucked
02-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Griff
did u stick with the stock plug with the new ignition?

Yes, but soon after I rebuilt it, went with 10.8:1 416 kit and I got 1 step colder plug (cant remember the numbers)

wilkin250r
02-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
What does an ignition system do to benefit your quad?

It does two things. First, most aftermarket ignition systems have a higher output, they put more energy into each spark. This creates a better burn and more efficient combustion.

Second, it allows you to adjust the timing for maximum power output. Nothing happens instantaneously. When the spark plug fires, you get a flame that travels outwards towards your cylinder walls, burning fuel as it goes. Too early, and you get detonation. Too late, and you lose power because you lose cylinder pressure. There is power to be found by adjusting your ignition timing.

NacsMXer
02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Wilkin, since the ignition kits advance the timing, does that mean that this will cause an overall increase in engine temp? Are they worth the power increase if they do in fact increase the temp?
Thanks

tdsongster
02-07-2005, 09:46 PM
I ordered a Vertex CDI from C&D. I believe it comes with 10 ignitions maps. It also has a switch on the handlebars that will allow you to choose between two of those maps on the fly. This would be good for instance in having one curve for a hole shot and another for a long straightaway.

Colby is the real expert, he can explain it better then I.

(402)614-2508

wilkin250r
02-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by tdsongster
I ordered a Vertex CDI from C&D. I believe it comes with 10 ignitions maps. It also has a switch on the handlebars that will allow you to choose between two of those maps on the fly. This would be good for instance in having one curve for a hole shot and another for a long straightaway.

Colby is the real expert, he can explain it better then I.

(402)614-2508

Or better yet, one curve for regular riding, and one curve with the timing retarded a few degrees for nitrous use!

wilkin250r
02-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Wilkin, since the ignition kits advance the timing, does that mean that this will cause an overall increase in engine temp? Are they worth the power increase if they do in fact increase the temp?
Thanks

It depends. I know, it's a cheesy answer, but it's really the only answer I can give you. Some motors (usually dirtbikes) actually have better performance with decreased timing and slightly leaner jetting.

So, is the power increase worth the increase in engine tempurature? I'd say yes. Especially since, if your timing and mixture are both spot-on, you shouldn't have any overheating problems. If you DO start overheating, you can always back off the ignition timing back to stock, so there really is no risk, other than cost (unless you blow your motor, but you should do enough testing to avoid that issue).

Is the increase in power worth the cost? Only you can answer that.

For a good article on ignition timing, mixture, and spark plug reading all in one, http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

cals400ex
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
how does that vortex perform? last time i checked, it wasn't even out yet. i was considering that but i thought i might as well get the msd if i was going to spend that much. i just settled for a gt thunder box which has served me well.

KingKash420
02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
i am curious to know more about the votrex as well..

Xenu
02-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It does two things. First, most aftermarket ignition systems have a higher output, they put more energy into each spark. This creates a better burn and more efficient combustion.

I wouldn't say most aftermarket systems have a higher output. Some do, but not most. Especially when you are looking at the inexpensive "rev boxes", alot of them have the same or lower spark energy compared to stock. Some of them are made by the same company that made the OEM boxes, and are internally almost identical, so the spark energy is the same. Others are made by aftermarket companies whose goal is to make an inexpensive rev box, things like spark energy just aren't that important. The tricks required to increase spark energy usually add a little cost to the box.

wilkin250r
02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Xenu
I wouldn't say most aftermarket systems have a higher output. Some do, but not most. Especially when you are looking at the inexpensive "rev boxes", alot of them have the same or lower spark energy compared to stock. Some of them are made by the same company that made the OEM boxes, and are internally almost identical, so the spark energy is the same. Others are made by aftermarket companies whose goal is to make an inexpensive rev box, things like spark energy just aren't that important. The tricks required to increase spark energy usually add a little cost to the box.

True, but that isn't an aftermarket SYSTEM. It's just a rev box. A full aftermarket system almost always has higher output.

Xenu
02-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
True, but that isn't an aftermarket SYSTEM. It's just a rev box. A full aftermarket system almost always has higher output.

Tell Procomm that. They make a lot of the aftermarket boxes sold under a million different names on ebay and elsewhere for around $100.

Edit: When you say system, are you meaning stator, flywheel, AND ignition box? Maybe you should clarify what constitutes a "system" over an ignition box?