PDA

View Full Version : How much oil does a stock 400 uselly burn???

400exBro
05-01-2002, 03:57 PM
This sunday before the race i was practicing out my stuff and when i got back i had less than half a oil tank full of oil, so i fulled it up just below full and used under half of a liter of oil. i am running kendal full sythnetic oil, and had it in there for over 3 months now is this normal fo it to lose almost half a liter, if it is always at high rpms???? I know that the 400 burns oil at high rpms but is it supose to burn that much in a 3 month time span???
I am running a K&N filter and always make sure it is oiled and well tightned on to the breather tube, but ocasionly find some dust particals in the tube, so maybe my walls are starting to score??? i am talking little tiny stuff that you can only fell not see, give me some input here????
thanks
Bro

yamaha1470
05-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Isn't three months a little long to be leaving oil in there? I change my oil after like every 2-3 rides NOT months.

400exBro
05-01-2002, 06:46 PM
But i don t ride every day i ride like maybe 5 hours every weekend to every other weekend, in a month i doubt i even get my 20 hours on it in a month, she still runs and i doubt that a 12$ oil will break down in that short period of time, and it still holds the same colour and texture as it was when i put it in.
Bro

RideRed400StYlE
05-01-2002, 07:48 PM
changing your oil every 2-3 rides is pointless unless you race so hardcore that you almost have to rebuild your engine once a month. I change my oil once eevery 2 months. last time I changed it was about a month ago and I ride almost every day, and it still looks as clean as the day I changed it. All you need to do is let your oil drain over night so all of the old crap is out, then when you change it, it will be like brand new inside your motor again because it will be all fresh oil.. Im not saying its going to hurt changing it evert 2-3 rides. but thats just a waste of money for a filter and 3 quarts of oil a week. thats money that can be put to the side and in time you have money for shocks, or engine mods, or somthing you will really benifit from. changing your oil every 2-3 rides is like changing your axle bearings once a month. there is no point.....
Just my 2 cents

Ex'r Marlin
05-01-2002, 07:59 PM
I doubt that it is normal to burn that much oil in that time frame. It is something that I would keep checking after each ride, making sure you have the proper oil level, and add as required to maintain the right level. You definetly don't want to run dry!!!!!

Note: My 1999 is now burning between a 1/4 of a quart to at most a 1/2 of a quart after a days ride..... But I see it going out my exhaust as blue smoke. I don't notice any performance loss, but I do know I need my 416 kit to arrive soon!!!!!!:D Again, I don't think it is normal to burn that much oil.

papaw
05-01-2002, 08:38 PM
valve seals or seats may need some attention....rings....just a thought

05-01-2002, 09:03 PM
I also change my oil every three months. I use valvoline 20w50 racing blend. I have never had to add oil to my 400 and I ride the piss out of it. :devil Drive it like you stole it :devil

400exBro
05-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Now from remembering sunday it was frezing cold and it might not have been up to operating temps, so now i might have over filled it., i check tonite or when ever i take it for a sping again.
Bro
Also i have heard that the 400 does burn oil at high rpms, so it isn't un common,

RED121572
05-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Hey Bro...

My 400EX is two years old and i put about a million high speed miles on the stock motor. I never noticed it burned any oil. You have a mechanical failure somewhere.:(

deansfastway
05-03-2002, 11:45 AM
CHANGE THE OIL MORE , DONT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT OIL CONSUMPTION AS LONG AS YOU NEVER RUN DRY MAKE SURE THE OIL COOLER IS NOT BLOCKED WITH MUD AND CHECK YOUR STOCK AIRBOX(they break the tabs off the front and then fall down disconnecting the airbox hose to the carb) IF YOUR CRANKCASE BREATHER REGULARLY AND CONSISTENTLY GETS FILLED WITH OIL THEN YOU HAVE A BLOW-BY PROBLEM WHERE YOULL NEED TO GIVE SOME ATTENTION.

05-03-2002, 03:48 PM
I've noticed about a 1/2 inch decrease on the dipstick on my last oil change from when I put new oil in it. It was still 3/4 way up on the full mark. It is normal for them to burn a small amount of oil in hot conditions.

RED121572
05-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Im gonna get bashed for this remark, but I think all you guys are nuts. Mine has never burned oil like some of you are describing.

Honda Guy
05-03-2002, 04:50 PM
RideRed400StYlE
Dont you mean 2qt.? (actually 1.95)

400exBro
05-03-2002, 06:11 PM
I have broke the stock tabs off the air box and then cement them back on and they hold fairly well.
That might be my problem tho with mud on the oil tank, because the day i was riding on sand it was raining as well which made it tebaly muddy and the oil tank was full of mud.
i am going to wash it down tomorrow let it run for a well to see where i am at and then clean the air filter.
And i will see what happens
i have had my 400 for a 1 year now and the throttle is always or clsoe to wot all the time.
Bro

sly400ex
05-03-2002, 07:29 PM
My quad started burning about a half a quart every 10hrs. I changed the rings ($50 for rings and gasket kit) and it does not burn ANY oil now. Might want to go that route........

NacsRacing400
05-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Before you changed you rings, did it smoke? Moine is doing this and burning alot of oil so i just ordered new rings and a xr gasket set. Did change the rings in yours make it stop smokeing.

BIGRED400
05-04-2002, 07:35 AM
My 2002 400 ex has used more oil than I thought it should but it's not really broke in yet , everything is still seating, I have about 14 hours on the motor and in all it has used probably around alittle more than 1/2 quart. The more time I run it the better it runs, it is loosening up .

deansfastway
05-05-2002, 08:37 AM
GOTTA WATCH RUNNING FULL SYNTH OILIN A NEW MOTOR HONDA WARNS AGAINST IT IN ALL THEIR MOTORS SOMETIMES IT KEEPS THE RINGS FROM SEATING DURING BREAK -IN KENDALL IS GOOD STUFF THOUGH WE USE THE GREEN STUFF IN 467 INCH CHEVY DIRT MODIFIED AND AN IHRA KEITH BLACK HEMI DRAGSTER ON ALCOHOL ; GOOD OIL , YOU MENTIONED THAT YOU JUST GOT THE QUAD , IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOURE NOT CHECKING THE OIL CORRECTLY , IT CAN BE A LITTLE TRICKY , STILL IN ALL SOME OIL USE IS GONNA HAPPEN IF YOURE RUNNIND WOT ALL THE TIME . HONDA DID HAVE A BULLETIN OUT ABOUIT THE BREATHER HOSE ON THE TOP OF THE CYL HEAD GETTING KINKED OR INCORRECTLY ROUTED WHICH WOULD RESTRICT PROPER VENTING INTO THR RESERVOIR I BELIEVE IT WAS ON 2001 EXs I KNOW I WORK AT A HONDA DEALER IN NJ . I ALSO HAVE BEEN BUILDING CUSTOM ENGINES FOR THE PAST 18 YEARS. ACTUALLY OLD EXs & XRs WILL RUN PRETTY STRONG EVEN WHEN THEY SMOKE A LITTLE. EX 400s WILL SMOKE A BIT IF PEOPLE SIT IN YOUR QUAD AND PLAY WITH YOUR THROTTLE A LOT PUMPING THE INTAKE FULL OF GAS , NOT VERY GOOD ALSO NOT VERY GOOD IS LETTING THE MOTOR SIT FOR A LONG TIME IDLING I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE AT THE SAND PITS LET THEIR BIKES IDLE FOR A LONG TIME WHILE THEY RIDE OTHER BIKES,SMOKE A CIGGY etc. NOT VERY GOOD CUZ THE MOTOR HAS NO AIR MOVING AROUND IT TO COOL ITSELF DOWN . THAT CAN BAKE THE OIL TO THE CYL & GLAZE IT UP .