PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 Hot Cam

mudcovered
02-07-2005, 12:05 AM
I ride a piped and jetted 400ex, looking (budget mindedly) for little more low/mid range power. Is a stage 1 hot cam worth having? How much of a power gain is there to be had? Easy to install? Thanks.

shamisc
02-07-2005, 12:35 AM
I would get C. Sparks 6 degree timing key for less than $20 and a 14 tooth front sprocket. You prob. won't feel anything with a Stage 1. http://www.sparksracing.com

400exrider26
02-07-2005, 03:56 AM
hey, what exactly is a hot cam.... I'v been hearing alot about them and there diffrent stages... what do they do? were do they go on the quad? and would it make my motor less reliable if i would get some? thanks guys for the help

throwinitup
02-07-2005, 05:15 AM
hotcam is a brand (WEB, W-Bros)

stage 1 - low end grunt

stage 2 - higher-rpm power

BLEEDRED
02-07-2005, 06:00 AM
hey, what exactly is a hot cam.... I'v been hearing alot about them and there diffrent stages... what do they do? were do they go on the quad? and would it make my motor less reliable if i would get some?

I'm not even sure if you know what a cam is...just by the way you asked this question.

The cam is what moves the rocker arms which opens and closes the valves. It's on the top of the top end of the motor. The timing chain runs from the bottom end of the motor and drives the cam. The cam has lobes on it and as the cam turns around the lobes move the rockers which open and close the valves. Different cams have different profiles on the lobes which allow more or less lift and duration to the valves. See also...

hotcam is a brand (WEB, W-Bros)
stage 1 - low end grunt
stage 2 - higher-rpm power

Hotcam is a drop-in cam...no hardening of rockers or need for HD valve springs. They are popular and easy to install. Hope this helps.

infantry317
02-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I felt it gave just a little more snap on the throttle. If you can do the work yourself you'll probably be happy, if you have to pay to have it installed, save your money.
Good luck

400rednEX
02-07-2005, 07:59 AM
i noticed a gain with my stage 1 with just pipe, jets, filter, & airbox mods

400exrider707
02-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 400rednEX
i noticed a gain with my stage 1 with just pipe, jets, filter, & airbox mods

Me too but I did an 11:1 piston too, really woke it up