PDA

View Full Version : Getting old..or smart?

Pappy
02-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I had the chance yesterday to sit back and listen to 3 quads rip up my track.

2 yfz's and a TRX90 of all things:p

The one YFZ is bone stock, the other piped along with the little 90. I watched as lap after lap(or should i say listened) and found myself becoming openly annoyed at the pipped YFZ:eek:

I have been installing then removing pipes on my own bikes in search of a decent balance between power and noise levels and so far im afriad all ive met is disappointment.

I cant figure out if im just getting old, or im starting to hear things for what they are. Piped quads just beg for some harry homeowner to complain:ermm: Its weird, I found myself caught between being an avid rider, outdoorsmen and my god...harry homeowner all in one:(

Anyone else coming to the conclusion that noise is probably the #1 factor in the way quads (and now thumper bikes) are being given a bad rap?

JUSTINcredible
02-06-2005, 09:06 PM
your just getting old.... j/p!:blah:

250rpilot
02-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Anyone else coming to the conclusion that noise is probably the #1 factor in the way quads (and now thumper bikes) are being given a bad rap?

i have been saying this for a long time. if they cant hear you, they wont complain about you. most aftermarket pipes are WAY too loud. people just dont like noise, plain and simple.

especially the new 4 strokes. the sound carries like nothing else i know of. 2 strokes sound kind of dies out in the trees, but i can tell when people are riding in a spot across town on the 4 strokes.

Mxjunkie
02-06-2005, 09:14 PM
I get kinda annoyed at times, sometimes when they just ride in one area etc, im not into loud pipes really :o

markk
02-07-2005, 02:13 AM
I like the way that all the new 450s, They rev quick, and they just sound like they are makin Hella HP. But i think that guy is right if u cant hear them, then there is no real reason to compain.

I think the best sound out there was the TRX90 IMO!

MOFO
02-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Your getting old Pappy!

Come on, you know the secret... louder means faster! ;)

Funny how that goes right with the ricer crowd with their fart tips... :eek:

Your not the only one that went from running a loud pipe, back to a stocker.

One_Bad_400
02-07-2005, 06:10 AM
the loud pipes are giving the bad rep around here but i dont really care.. i dont spend 10 grand on a bike and it sound like crap, when im ridding in the woods or down the side of the road i want people to know its me from 3miles away

ILGNCC400EX
02-07-2005, 06:37 AM
i say smart pappy.i held off puttin a pipe on mine but you just sound like a wuss on the track with a stocker.

Runnin Dumb
02-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Well Pappy, Ya know where I ride in the pack, I don't like goin' back with my ears ringin' more than they already do. You ain't gettin' old, your gettin' ta were you enjoy your "quiet time" and that comes with age. Not old age either:D

Samson
02-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
with their fart tips... :eek:

What's that? It's not a good one unless you can hear it a few blocks away? :p

Seriously, I think the neighbors' stock Harlies have my aftermarket pipes beat.

dirtmomma
02-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Haha it sucks to get "old" huh ;);)

I know what you mean though, last year I wanted a loud pipe for my Kodiak, BUT I just got a new one & went w/ a stocker again just for the reason I didn't want it to be all loud in the woods cuz they are really getting tough on that EVERYWHERE, it's actually kinda nice to pull up to someone on the trail & be able to talk/hear w/o turning it off :)

I'd like to quiet my 300 down a little too but that'll have to wait :)

PunkA$$
02-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I definitaly miss the quietness of the stock pipe on my quad. I love the power increase of my aftermarket pipe, and it sounds pretty cool (to me). I never really realized how loud my quad was until I let someone else take it for a ride while I stood in one spot. You can hear the thing from literally a kilometer away.

I ride woods and backroads alot so the less people I piss off the better. However now that I'm used to the power it's not like I can throw the stocker back on and get full enjoyment out of it.

JTRtrx250r
02-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Im w/ ya Pap, I got a neighbor kid w/ 1 of those piped scooters:rolleyes: Ive helped this kid learn about 2 strokes...and now regret it:p I always said I liked the sound...but after 20 mins of that damn thing cruisin' back and forth...I wanna throw a rock at him:D :devil: Instead I just keep it to pine cones:devil: now when ever the lil chit see's me ..it becomes a game...which in turn just makes him keep going by.

I cant stand the sound of piped 4strokes, thats gonna be "the next gripe" we hear and will lead to some more probs more so that it has I think.

You aint alone dude....

AshYFZ450
02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm kind of with you too. I have a YFZ 450 and yes it has a pipe. Wife has a 400EX with a Yosh pipe. My friends mostly have Banshees and they all have pipes too. While we were in camp thins weekend we all became annoyed with the sound of one of the kids quads in the camp. It was a little 90. The baffel was blown out or removed. This thing was just too loud. You could hear it over the Banshees. She would ride up to where everyone was sitting every couple minutes and you couldn't hear yourself think. I'm all about function but...There is such a thing as too loud.