PDA

View Full Version : predator

6858-400ex
02-06-2005, 08:39 PM
are preadators realy that good of a bike in terms of reliable

will the yfz beat a pred in a drag

QuadJunkies
02-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Im not even going to answer the question on the Drag racing... That all depends on too may factors....

As far as reliable, its all in how you take care of it, and who works on it .. Trust me.. we learned the hard way on that :rolleyes: We know have a strong running Predator after dropping some serious bank into it from a mechanical nightmare...

440exnacsracer
02-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Im not even going to answer the question on the Drag racing... That all depends on too may factors....

As far as reliable, its all in how you take care of it, and who works on it .. Trust me.. we learned the hard way on that :rolleyes: We know have a strong running Predator after dropping some serious bank into it from a mechanical nightmare...

you and me both hehe

Flynbryan19
02-22-2005, 05:12 AM
QJ hit it on the nose. They're no different from any other quad. Take care of the maintnance and it will take care of you. Aside from a frame crack on my 03'(known for weak frames), I've had 0 problems with my pred.

And as for the drag........ In most instances, no. You won't win against a yfz with out some major motor work. Theres just too much of a difference in power to weight ratio. But in the long run drag racing seems to come down to who has the deepest pockets anyway........ :D

440exnacsracer
02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
QJ hit it on the nose. They're no different from any other quad. Take care of the maintnance and it will take care of you. Aside from a frame crack on my 03'(known for weak frames), I've had 0 problems with my pred.

And as for the drag........ In most instances, no. You won't win against a yfz with out some major motor work. Theres just too much of a difference in power to weight ratio. But in the long run drag racing seems to come down to who has the deepest pockets anyway........ :D

when my pred was nearly stock, i was beaten by very few yfz's. and i will say the pred motor has far more potential than the 450's

exrider44
03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
How can you say the predator motor has more potential? I dont know who your racing but ive walked all over two piped predators over and over in a drag with just my airbox lid off and spark arrestor out. I dont think the weight to power difference is the same.

440exnacsracer
03-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
How can you say the predator motor has more potential? I dont know who your racing but ive walked all over two piped predators over and over in a drag with just my airbox lid off and spark arrestor out. I dont think the weight to power difference is the same.

you can get far more power out of a predators motor than a 450's. they are already tuned pretty well from the factory. the highest hp ive heard from yfzs is around 55, 60 for the trx nmotion tt racer. preds have acheived well over that. and im not talking about taking your airbox lid off:rolleyes: bring your trx down here to georgia and well see how far you really walk

exrider44
03-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Id love to race ya but Im not driving all the way down to Georgia lol. :D

trxfour50r
03-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I've seen and Nmotion TRX MX quad with claimed 68 HP!! It was very impressive :)

philsan
03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Back to the original question. The 03's had a few problems, but so have most other first year makes. I have an 03, and fortunately none of the problems have popped up on mine. In 04, Polaris addressed most of 'em and for 05 it seems they've put the final touches to make the Predator very competitive inr the dependability catagory. Performance wise, now that they've got a rider signed,(Matt Smiley) they're starting to show alot of Polaris bashers how dumb they really sound. As far a dragging goes, there are too many variables, especially in the rider, to consider it with any value. I had a young kid on a 400ex make me look like I was on a blaster. I was still getting used to using a clutch. The pred is my first manual quad. So that should tell you something about racing comparisons.

exrider44
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Im just a brand loyal sob. I rode the preddy and it does have balls Im not saying they are crap, I only by honda though. As long as everyone rides I dont care what your riding.

QuadJunkies
03-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
. As long as everyone rides I dont care what your riding.

I wish everyone had that same additude. ;)

bradley300
03-22-2005, 08:42 AM
they seem to have a few small quirks like ball joints and tierod ends that are constantly going out(in xc racing at least), but it seems polaris has fixed the major stuff. there still heavy and wide, but once you get used to it, it dosent seem to be much of an issue

SandAddict_pred
03-25-2005, 01:11 AM
as far as drag racing goes it depends. length of track and other stuff.. ive been beat by many but last weekend i got my jetting dialed in and beat up a yfz with cam mod fmf pipe and a filter on it. dont get me worng i didnt beat him bad but i have a slip ona nd filter and i beat him by a litlle bit..

SandAddict_pred
03-25-2005, 01:12 AM
and btw reliability is not an issue... the 03 has a few bugs but o4s and 05s are bulletproof.